Long-term outcomes after an aggressive resection of adenosquamous carcinoma of the pancreas
- 18 Downloads
Adenosquamous carcinoma (ASC) of the pancreas is a rare malignancy, associated with a poor prognosis after surgical resection, with reported median survival times (MSTs) ranging from 4.4 to 13.1 months. We conducted this study to investigate the long-term outcomes of patients after the resection for ASC.
Between 2002 and 2016, a total of 456 patients underwent resection for ASC or adenocarcinoma (AC) of the pancreas. ASC was confirmed in 17 (3.7%) of these patients. We analyzed the clinicopathological characteristics and survival of these 17 patients in comparison with those of patients with AC of the pancreas.
The operative procedures performed were pancreaticoduodenectomy (n = 6) and distal pancreatectomy (n = 11). Seven (41.2%) of the 17 patients underwent combined organ resection. R0 resection was achieved in 16 (94.1%) patients. The 5-year overall survival (OS) rate and MST were 40.3% and 20.9 months, respectively. A squamous component of ≥ 60% (P = 0.001) and R1 resection (P < 0.001) were significantly associated with poor OS for patients with ASC
This study revealed longer survival and a higher R0 resection rate after aggressive combined resection in our ASC patients than those in previous studies. Although this was only a small series, our findings suggest that local control with aggressive resection may be an effective treatment protocol for ASC patients.
KeywordsPancreatic cancer Adenosquamous carcinoma Combined resection
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
Takaaki Ito and his co-authors have no conflicts of interest to declare.
- 10.Simone CG, Zuluaga Toro T, Chan E, Feely MM, Trevino JG, George TJ Jr. Characteristics and outcomes of adenosquamous carcinoma of the pancreas. Gastrointestinal cancer research : GCR. 2013;6:75–9.Google Scholar
- 11.Kardon DE, Thompson LD, Przygodzki RM, Heffess CS. Adenosquamous carcinoma of the pancreas: a clinicopathologic series of 25 cases. Gastrointest Cancer Res GCR. 2001; 14:443-51.Google Scholar
- 17.Sobin L, Gospodarowicz M, Wittekind C (2009) TNM classification of malignant tumors, 7th edn. Wiley, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 20.Hong SM, Kim MJ, Jang KT, Yoon GS, Cho H, Frierson HF, et al. Adenosquamous carcinoma of extrahepatic bile duct: clinicopathologic study of 12 cases. Int J Clin Exp Pathol. 2008;1:147–56.Google Scholar
- 29.Wild AT, Dholakia AS, Fan KY, Kumar R, Moningi S, Rosati LM, et al. Efficacy of platinum chemotherapy agents in the adjuvant setting for adenosquamous carcinoma of the pancreas. J Gastrointest Oncol. 2015;6:115–25.Google Scholar