Adverse oncological outcome of surgical site infection after liver resection for colorectal liver metastases
- 112 Downloads
Postoperative complications are associated with poor overall and cancer-specific survival after resection of various types of cancer, including primary colorectal cancer. However, the oncological impact of surgical site infection (SSI) after liver resection for colorectal liver metastases (CLM) is unclear. The aim of this study was to investigate the oncological impact of SSI after liver resection for CLM.
We reviewed data from 367 consecutive patients treated by curative liver resection for CLM between 1994 and 2015. Patients who underwent simultaneous resection of colorectal cancer and synchronous liver metastases (n = 86) were excluded from the analysis. Short- and long-term outcomes were analyzed.
SSI developed in 18 (6.4%) of the 281 patients in the analytic cohort (SSI group). The remaining 93.6% (n = 263) did not suffer this complication (no-SSI group). The operative duration was significantly longer in the SSI group than in the No-SSI group (p = 0.002). The overall survival rates 5 years after liver resection for CLM were 33.3% in the SSI group vs. 50.7% in the No-SSI group (p = 0.043). Multivariate analysis indicated that a liver tumor size ≥ 5 cm, R1 resection, and SSI were independently associated with overall survival after liver resection.
SSI after liver resection for CLM is associated with adverse oncological outcomes.
KeywordsSurgical site infection Postoperative morbidity Liver resection Colorectal liver metastases Survival
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
We have no conflicts of interest to disclose.
- 9.Maehara Y, Shirabe K, Kohnoe S, Emi Y, Oki E, Kakeji Y, et al. Impact of intra-abdominal absorbable sutures on surgical site infection in gastrointestinal and hepato-biliary-pancreatic surgery: results of a multicenter, randomized, prospective, phase II clinical trial. Surg Today. 2017;47:1060–71.CrossRefGoogle Scholar