Minimally invasive surgery for esophageal epiphrenic diverticulum: the results of 133 patients in 25 published series and our experience
- 871 Downloads
Esophageal epiphrenic diverticula are uncommon. Traditionally, thoracotomy has been the preferred surgical approach. Recently, minimally invasive approaches have been reported in a few series. However, the best surgical approach remains uncertain. In this study, we review the results of 25 articles discussing laparoscopic or thoracoscopic surgery. From January 1995 to December 2008, there were a total of 133 patients reported in English-language journals in PubMed. Nineteen patients (14 %) underwent thoracoscopic surgery, 112 (84 %) laparoscopic surgery and two patients (2 %) were treated using a combination approach. The diverticulectomy was performed using an endostapler device in all patients. A myotomy was added in 103 patients (83 %). A fundoplication was added in 106 patients (85 %). There were two deaths during surgery (2 %). The post-operative morbidity rate was 21 %. The most severe complication was suture-line leakage, which occurred in 20 patients (15 %). Recently, we successfully treated a patient with an epiphrenic esophageal diverticulum by performing a minimally invasive laparoscopic transhiatal resection and Heller myotomy with Dor fundoplication after observing its enlargement on radiological and endoscopic examinations over 2 years. We believe laparoscopic transhiatal resection and Heller myotomy with Dor fundoplication may therefore become the standard treatment modality for minimally invasive surgery for esophageal epiphrenic diverticulum.
KeywordsAchalasia Epiphrenic diverticulum Laparoscopy Thoracoscopy Transhiatal approach
- 23.Kinoshita Y, Udagawa H, Tsutsumi K, Ueno M, Mine S, Ehara K, et al. Modified Dor fundoplication technique following diverticulectomy and myotomy for epiphrenic diverticulum combined with esophageal motility disorders: prevention of esophageal leak at the diverticulectomy staple line. Esophagus. 2008;5:57–60.CrossRefGoogle Scholar