Colon metastasis 20 years after the removal of ovarian cancer: Report of a case
- 135 Downloads
This report describes the case of a patient who had undergone surgery to resect bilateral ovarian tumors and then presented with colon metastasis 20 years later. A 69-year-old woman was admitted to the hospital for a clinical survey. She had been operated on for bilateral ovarian cancer in 1987 and was treated by postoperative adjuvant chemotherapy. The patient’s follow-up showed no abnormality until 2006. Colonoscopy revealed an elevated irregular lesion in the cecum. A biopsy of the lesion showed a group V, moderately differentiated adenocarcinoma. A right hemicolectomy with a partial resection of the ileum and a lymphadenectomy was performed. Immunohistochemical staining during the pathological diagnosis showed the lesion to be colon metastasis from a serous papillary adenocarcinoma of the ovary. Immunohistochemical staining was positive for cytokeratin 7, carbohydrate antigen (CA)-125, and estrogen receptors, and negative for cytokeratin 20, carcinoembryonic antigen, and CA19-9. The use of immunohistochemistry demonstrated the tumor to be of ovarian origin.
Key wordsColon metastasis Ovarian cancer Immunohistochemistry
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Egashira Y, Hirata I, Umegaki E. Metastatic colon cancers. Rinsho Syoukakinaika 1997;12:643–648.Google Scholar
- 2.Haraoka S, Iwashota A, Nakayama Y. Metastatic tumor of the gastrointestinal tract. Stomach Intestine 2003;38:1755–1771.Google Scholar
- 3.Kohyama M, Takesue Y, Ohge H, Sakashita M, Murakami Y, Sueda T. A case of colon metastasis from ovarian cancer presented with intussusception. J Jan Surg Assoc 2005;66:2767–2771.Google Scholar
- 4.Nakamura Y, Kaneda K, Wada T. A case of rectal metastasis 22 years after removal of ovarian cancer. J Jpn Surg Assoc 2006;67:2142–2146.Google Scholar
- 5.Kigawa S, Kinjo M, Nishiyama N, Kikuchi Y, Motomiya T, Kitamura S, et al. A case of colon metastasis of ovarian cancer. J Jpn Surg Assoc 1992;53:2255.Google Scholar
- 6.Tei S, Murata T, Sibuya M, Shibutani M, Yamada S, Kanemura S, et al. A case of colon metastasis of ovarian cancer. J Jpn Surg Assoc 2005;66:886.Google Scholar
- 7.Nakao Y, Suzumura K, Nagata H, Daiwa Y, Arikawa S, Ando K, et al. A case of colon metastasis of ovarian cancer. J Chubu Surg Soc 2005;41:92.Google Scholar
- 8.Sugisaki K, Masaki Y, Huzita T, Aoki H, Asai S, Nakamura Y, et al. A case of colon metastasis of ovarian cancer presented with submucosal tumor. J Jpn Soc Coloproctol 2005;58:412.Google Scholar
- 9.Takebayashi M, Toyota N, Nosaka Z, Wakazuki T, Kamasako Y, Tanida K. A case of colon metastasis of ovarian cancer. J Jpn Soc Coloproctol 2006;59:730.Google Scholar
- 10.Hujimura N, Ito Y, Goto K. A case of metachronous solitary colon metastasis of ovarian cancer presenting with melena. Jpn J Gastroenterol Surg 2006;39:1096.Google Scholar
- 11.Takahashi K, Shibukawa T, Moriyama M, Shirai T, Kijima S, Iwanari O, et al. Clinical usefulness and false-positive results of CA 125 as a tumor marker of ovarian cancer: a study on 674 patients. Surg Today 1986;16:305–310.Google Scholar