Treatment of solitary iliac aneurysms: Clinical review of 28 cases
- 75 Downloads
The clinical characteristics and long-term results of patients with solitary iliac aneurysms (SIAs) were investigated.
28 consecutive patients who underwent repair of SIAs between 1985 and 2004 were reviewed retrospectively, and compared with those of 536 patients who underwent elective repair of an abdominal aortic aneurysm (AAA) during the same period.
The incidence of SIAs among all aorto-iliac aneurysms was 5.0%. The 28 patients with SIAs were men with a mean age of 69.1 years. There were a collective total of 42 iliac aneurysms in the 28 patients, with 12 patients having multiple aneurysms. Thirty aneurysms involved the common iliac artery, and 12 involved the internal iliac artery. Twenty-two patients had symptoms, although none of the SIAs ruptured. Four patients had coexistent iliac occlusive disease and two patients had femoral occlusive disease. The 5-and 10-year survival rates of the patients with SIAs were 90.5% and 75.4%, whereas those of the patients with AAAs were 76.3% and 54%, respectively (P = 0.089).
Routine imaging is necessary not only to evaluate the SIAs, but also to detect multiple aneurysms or arterial occlusive disease. Close and long-term followup is mandatory for the early detection of the formation of new aneurysms.
Key wordsSolitary iliac aneurysm Abdominal aortic aneurysm
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Schermerhorn ML, Cronenwett JL. Abdominal aortic and iliac aneurysms. In: Ruthorford RB, editor. Vascular surgery. 6th ed. Philiadelphia: Elsevier Saunders; 2005. p. 1408–52.Google Scholar
- 5.Matsuzaki Y, Yano T, Ikezawa T. Isolated aneurysms of the iliac artery: report of three cases and study of 46 cases in Japan (in Japanese with English abstract). Nihon Rinshogekayi Gakkaizasshi (Journal of Japan Surgical Association) 1986;47:126–131.Google Scholar
- 6.Sueda T, Ishihara H, Hamanaka K, Kanehiro K, Nakajima Y, Hayashi S, et al. Analysis of Isolated iliac aneurysm and femoral aneurysm (in Japanese). Geka 1989;51:398–401.Google Scholar
- 7.Nishimaki M, Arai M, Kobayasi A, Kawasaki S. Management of iliac aneurysms (in Japanese). Geka 1995;57:426–429.Google Scholar
- 8.Konagai N, Zhang Y, Kawaguti S, Ikeda K, Yano H, Ishimaru S, et al. Clinical experience in 10 cases of isolated iliac artery aneurysm (in Japanese). Rinsho Geka (Jpn J Clinical Surgery) 1995; 50:351–353.Google Scholar
- 9.Tsujimoto M, Yokogawa M, Akimoto K, Yamamoto M, Ueyama T, Yamamoto K. Experience in 16 cases of isolated iliac aneurysms (in Japanese). Rinsho Geka (Jpn J Clinical Surgery) 1994;49:521–524.Google Scholar
- 10.Takahashi K, Hoshino S, Igari T, Iwaya F, Watanabe M, Midorikawa H. Analysis of seventeen cases with isolated iliac artery aneurysms (in Japanese with English abstract). Jpn J Vasc Surg 1997;6:713–717.Google Scholar
- 11.Sakuda H, Tamashiro M, Matusbara S, Nakaema M, Uezu T, Shimoji M, et al. Surgical management of isolated iliac artery aneurysm (in Japanese with English abstract). Jpn J Vasc Surg 1999;8:729–736.Google Scholar
- 12.Tsuji K, Makoto S, Mitani H. Surgical treatment of isolated iliac artery aneurysms (in Japanese with English abstract). Jpn J Vasc Surg 2002;11:575–579.Google Scholar
- 13.Hiromatsu S, Yokokura H, Ishihara K, Okazaki T, Onitsuka S, Tayama K, et al. Strategy for solitary iliac aneurysm (in Japanese with English abstract). Jpn J Vasc Surg 2004;13:673–678.Google Scholar
- 14.Maruta K, Fukuzumi M, Bito A, Okada Y, Matsuo Y, Aiba M, et al. Surgical treatment of internal iliac artery aneurysms (in Japanese with English abstract). Jpn J Cardiovasc Surg 2004; 33:231–234.Google Scholar
- 16.Hazama S, Sakamoto I, Yamachika S, Noguchi M, Ariyoshi T, Takai H, et al. Endovascular treatment of solitary iliac aneurysm (in Japanese with English abstract). Jpn J Vasc Surg 2005; 14:73–78.Google Scholar
- 17.Yuda T, Matsumoto H, Ueno T, Hisashi Y, Toda R. Surgical treatment of isolated iliac artery aneurysm in eight cases (in Japanese with English abstract). Jpn J Cardiovasc Surg 1999;28:146–150.Google Scholar
- 18.Tobe M, Kondo J, Imoto K, Suzuki S, Isoda S, Hashiyama N, et al. Management of ruptured isolated aneurysms of the iliac artery (in Japanese with English abstract). Jpn J Cardiovasc Surg 2001;30:118–121.Google Scholar
- 23.Sacks NP, Huddy SP, Wegner T, Giddings AE. Management of solitary iliac aneurysms. J Cardiovasc Surg 1992;33:679–683.Google Scholar
- 26.Onohara T, Orita H, Toyohara T, Sumimoto K, Wakasugi K, Matsusaka T, et al. Long-term results and prognostic factors after repair of abdominal aortic aneurysm with concomitant malignancy. J Cardiovasc Surg. 1996;37:1–6.Google Scholar