Thyroid Papillary Carcinoma Recurring as Squamous Cell Carcinoma: Report of a Case
- 112 Downloads
We report a case of local squamous cell carcinoma recurrence of thyroid papillary carcinoma, 4 years after subtotal thyroidectomy, in an 82-year-old woman. The papillary cancer of the right thyroid was histopathologically classified as T2a, N0, M0, Ex1; pT2a, pN1b, pEx1; Stage III. Fine-needle aspiration cytology of the recurrent tumor revealed atypical squamous epithelium-like cells with keratinization. The tumor was judged cytologically to be class III, defined as a suspicious malignancy and, after reoperation, it was diagnosed histopathologically as papillary carcinoma recurrence with extensive squamous metaplasia. The recurrent papillary carcinoma was thought to have changed to a squamous cell carcinoma because most of the tumor was occupied by atypical squamous cells, with a small amount of glandular tissue. The primary tumor was histologically diagnosed as a well-differentiated papillary carcinoma at the initial operation. It contained numerous tall neoplastic cells with eosinophilic granules and pseudostratified nuclei, indicating that it could potentially transform into squamous cell carcinoma. We report this case as an example of how squamous cell carcinoma of the thyroid can develop.
Key wordsThyroid tumor Thyroid squamous cell carcinoma Papillary carcinoma of the thyroid Recurrent carcinoma
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 7.Shephard, GH, Rosenfeld, L 1968Carcinoma of the thyroglossal duct remnantsAm J Surg1161259Google Scholar
- 8.Mobini, J, Krause, TB, Klinghoffer, JF 1974Squamous carcinoma arising in a thyroglossal duct cystAm J Surg402904Google Scholar
- 9.Lindsay, S 1960Carcinoma of the thyroid gland. A clinical and pathologic study of 293 patients at the University of California HospitalSpringfieldThomas CC528Google Scholar
- 13.Hawk, WA, Hazard, JB 1976The many appearances of papillary carcinoma of the thyroidCleveland Clin Q4320715Google Scholar
- 16.Kobayashi K, Yokozawa T, Fukaa S, Hirai K, Kobayashi A, Matsuzuka H, et al. Labeling index of MIB-1 invariant histological type of thyroid tumors (in Japanese). Abstract of 31st Meeting of the Japanese Society for Thyroid Surgery; 1988. p. 45Google Scholar
- 19.Erickson, LA, Jin, L, Wollan, PC, Thompson, GB, van Heerden, J, Lloyd, RV 1988Expression of p27kip1 and Ki-67 in benign and malignant thyroid tumorsMod Pathol1116974Google Scholar