Laparoscopy-Assisted Low Anterior Resection with a Prolapsing Technique for Low Rectal Cancer
Laparoscopy-assisted low anterior resection (LAR) for low rectal cancer is a difficult procedure, presenting problems with rectal washout, selecting the appropriate distal transection line, and achieving safe anastomosis. To resolve these problems, we used a prolapsing technique to perform laparoscopy-assisted LAR. Total mesorectal excision (TME) is performed laparoscopically. The proximal colon is transected laparoscopically with the aid of an endoscopic stapler, and the distal rectum, including the lesion, are everted and pulled transanally to outside the body. Only washout of and wiping off the distal rectum and intestinal resection are performed extracorporeally. The distal rectum is pushed back through the anus into the pelvis, and intracorporeal anastomosis is completed laparoscopically with a double-stapling technique. Our limited experience suggests that the prolapsing technique helps to prevent problems with laparoscopy-assisted LAR in selected patients with low rectal cancer.
Key wordsRectal cancer Laparoscopy-assisted low anterior resection Prolapsing technique
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Heald, RJ, Husband, EM, Ryall, RD 1982The mesorectum in rectal cancer surgery: the clue to pelvic recurrence?Br J Surg6775761Google Scholar
- 4.Scheidbach, H, Schneider, C, Baerlehner, E, Konradt, J, Koeckerling, F, Laparoscopic, Colorectal 2001Surgery Study Group. Laparoscopic anterior resection for rectal carcinoma. Results of a registrySurg Oncol Clin North Am10599609Google Scholar
- 5.Maunsell, HW 1892A new method of excising the two upper portions of the rectum and the lower segment of the sigmoid flute of the colonLancet274736Google Scholar
- 6.Weir, RF 1901An improved method of treating high-seated cancers of the rectumJAMA378013Google Scholar
- 12.Watanabe, M, Teramoto, T, Hasegawa, H, Kitajima, M 2000Laparoscopic ultraslow anterior resection combined with per anum intersphinteric rectal dissection for lower rectal cancerDis Colon Rectum45S947Google Scholar
- 14.Nakano, H, Fujii, H, Yamamoto, K, Satou, S, Watanabe, I 1991Topics of colorectal surgery — anastomosis (in Japanese)Syujutsu (Operation)45153341Google Scholar
- 15.Takatsuka, J, Isogai, M, Okamoto, Y, Hatayama, T, Ikeda, M, Shiba, T 2001Low anterior resection using the prolapsing technique (in JapaneseSyujutsu (Operation)55196572Google Scholar