Unilateral uniplanar modular external fixator for percutaneous proximal femoral osteotomy in children: surgical technique
- 106 Downloads
Varus derotation femoral osteotomy (VDFO) is a commonly used surgical procedure in association with pelvic osteotomy for dislocated hip in developmental hip dysplasia. Several types of internal fixation devices were described in the literature, but none of them showed a superiority or a lower rate of complication over the others. Different types of external fixator were also described for proximal osteotomy fixation with good results. We describe the surgical technique of the VDFO using a modular external fixator with an illustrative case.
KeywordsCongenital hip dysplasia Developmental hip dislocation External fixator External fixation device Femoral osteotomy
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
For this type of study, formal consent is not required.
Informed consent was obtained from all individual participants included in the study.
- 9.Karadimas JE, Holloway GM, Waugh W (1980) Growth of the proximal femur after varus-derotation osteotomy in the treatment of congenital dislocation of the hip. Clin Orthop Relat Res 162:61–68Google Scholar
- 12.Monticelli G (1976) Intertrochanteric femoral osteotomy with concentric reduction of the femoral head in treatment of residual congenital acetabular dysplasia. Clin Orthop Relat Res 119:48–53Google Scholar
- 14.Hau R, Dickens DR, Nattrass GR et al (2000) Which implant for proximal femoral osteotomy in children? A comparison of the AO (ASIF) 90 degree fixed-angle blade plate and the Richards intermediate hip screw. J Pediatr Orthop 20:336–343Google Scholar
- 15.Ito H, Minami A, Suzuki K, Matsuno T (2001) Three-dimensionally corrective external fixator system for proximal femoral osteotomy. J Pediatr Orthop 21:652–656Google Scholar
- 16.Sabharwal S, Mittal R, Cox G (2005) Percutaneous triplanar femoral osteotomy correction for developmental coxa vara: a new technique. J Pediatr Orthop 25:28–33Google Scholar
- 18.Tönnis D (1976) An evaluation of conservative and operative methods in the treatment of congenital hip dislocation. Clin Orthop Relat Res 119:76–88Google Scholar
- 30.Gornitzky AL, Sankar WN (2015) Varus derotation osteotomy of proximal femur. In: Skaggs DL, Kocher MS (eds) Master techniques in orthopaedic surgery: pediatrics, 2nd edn. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Los Angeles, pp 213–226Google Scholar