Does neck pain as chief complaint influence the outcome of cervical total disc replacement?
We investigated whether outcomes after cervical total disc replacement (cTDR) are influenced by preoperative neck pain as the chief complaint.
This was a retrospective study using data in our local spine surgery outcomes database, linked to EUROSPINE Spine Tango Registry. Patients completed questionnaires at baseline enquiring about the “chief complaint” [neck pain (NP), arm/shoulder pain (AP) or neurological deficits (ND)] and including the Core Outcome Measures Index (COMI); these were completed again at 24 months postoperatively, along with a rating of “global treatment outcome” (on a five-point scale, later dichotomized as “good” or “poor”). Differences in outcomes between the groups were examined using ANOVA. Multivariable regression analysis examined the effect of the chief pain location on 24-month outcomes, controlling for age, gender, comorbidity, baseline pain and COMI scores.
One hundred and fifty-nine consecutive patients were included, with a chief complaint of NP in 31%, AP in 38% and ND in 31%. The chief complaint groups did not differ in relation to their baseline COMI scores or their reductions in score from before surgery to 24 months after surgery (reduction: NP group, 4.4 ± 2.9 points; AP group, 4.7 ± 2.7; ND group, 4.3 ± 2.9; p = 0.78). Similarly, the percentage of patients reporting a “good global treatment outcome” at 24 months postoperatively did not differ between the groups (NP, 79%; AP, 77%; ND, 85%; p = 0.64). The findings were consistent when controlling for possible confounders in multiple regression.
Having neck pain as opposed to arm pain or neurological deficits as preoperative chief complaint had no significant impact on clinical outcome after cTDR.
KeywordsNeck pain Cervical total disc replacement cTDR Cervical arthroplasty
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
All authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 1.Disease GBD, Injury I, Prevalence C (2018) Global, regional, and national incidence, prevalence, and years lived with disability for 354 diseases and injuries for 195 countries and territories, 1990–2017: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2017. Lancet 392:1789–1858. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(18)32279-7 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.Saifi C, Fein A, Cazzulino A, Lehman R, Phillips FM, An HS, Riew KD (2017) Trends in resource utilization and rate of cervical disc arthroplasty and anterior cervical discectomy and fusion throughout the united states from 2006 to 2013. Spine J. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.spinee.2017.10.072 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 8.Maharaj MM, Mobbs RJ, Hogan J, Zhao DF, Rao PJ, Phan K (2015) Anterior cervical disc arthroplasty (ACDA) versus anterior cervical discectomy and fusion (ACDF): a systematic review and meta-analysis. J Spine Surg 1:72–85. https://doi.org/10.3978/j.issn.2414-469X.2015.09.01 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 9.Upadhyayula PS, Yue JK, Curtis EI, Hoshide R, Ciacci JD (2017) A matched cohort comparison of cervical disc arthroplasty versus anterior cervical discectomy and fusion: evaluating perioperative outcomes. J Clin Neurosci 43:235–239. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jocn.2017.04.027 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 10.Lanman TH, Burkus JK, Dryer RG, Gornet MF, McConnell J, Hodges SD (2017) Long-term clinical and radiographic outcomes of the prestige LP artificial cervical disc replacement at 2 levels: results from a prospective randomized controlled clinical trial. J Neurosurg Spine 27:7–19. https://doi.org/10.3171/2016.11.SPINE16746 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 14.Phillips FM, Geisler FH, Gilder KM, Reah C, Howell KM, McAfee PC (2015) Long-term outcomes of the US FDA IDE prospective, randomized controlled clinical trial comparing PCM cervical disc arthroplasty with anterior cervical discectomy and fusion. Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 40:674–683. https://doi.org/10.1097/BRS.0000000000000869 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 16.Kleinstueck FS, Fekete T, Jeszenszky D, Mannion AF, Grob D, Lattig F, Mutter U, Porchet F (2011) The outcome of decompression surgery for lumbar herniated disc is influenced by the level of concomitant preoperative low back pain. Eur Spine J 20:1166–1173. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00586-010-1670-9 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 19.Mannion AF, Porchet F, Kleinstuck FS, Lattig F, Jeszenszky D, Bartanusz V, Dvorak J, Grob D (2009) The quality of spine surgery from the patient's perspective. Part 1: the Core Outcome Measures Index in clinical practice. Eur Spine J 18(Suppl 3):367–373. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00586-009-0942-8 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 22.Findlay C, Ayis S, Demetriades AK (2018) Total disc replacement versus anterior cervical discectomy and fusion. Bone Joint J 100-B:991–1001. https://doi.org/10.1302/0301-620X.100B8.BJJ-2018-0120.R1 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 23.Aghayev E, Barlocher C, Sgier F, Hasdemir M, Steinsiepe KF, Wernli F, Porchet F, Hausmann O, Ramadan A, Maestretti G, Ebeling U, Neukamp M, Roder C (2013) Five-year results of cervical disc prostheses in the SWISSspine registry. Eur Spine J 22:1723–1730. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00586-013-2770-0 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 24.Davis RJ, Nunley PD, Kim KD, Hisey MS, Jackson RJ, Bae HW, Hoffman GA, Gaede SE, Danielson GO 3rd, Gordon C, Stone MB (2015) Two-level total disc replacement with Mobi-C cervical artificial disc versus anterior discectomy and fusion: a prospective, randomized, controlled multicenter clinical trial with 4-year follow-up results. J Neurosurg Spine 22:15–25. https://doi.org/10.3171/2014.7.SPINE13953 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 25.Fekete TF, Loibl M, Jeszenszky D, Haschtmann D, Banczerowski P, Kleinstuck FS, Becker HJ, Porchet F, Mannion AF (2018) How does patient-rated outcome change over time following the surgical treatment of degenerative disorders of the thoracolumbar spine? Eur Spine J 27:700–708. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00586-017-5358-2 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 30.Liu J, Ebraheim NA, Haman SP, Sanford CG, Jr., Sairyo K, Faizan A, Woldenberg L, Goel VK (2006) How the increase of the cervical disc space height affects the facet joint: an anatomy study. Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 31:E350–E354. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.brs.0000219496.42765.8a CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 32.Falco FJ, Manchikanti L, Datta S, Wargo BW, Geffert S, Bryce DA, Atluri S, Singh V, Benyamin RM, Sehgal N, Ward SP, Helm S 2nd, Gupta S, Boswell MV (2012) Systematic review of the therapeutic effectiveness of cervical facet joint interventions: an update. Pain Physician 15:E839–E868PubMedGoogle Scholar