Solitary juvenile xanthogranuloma in the spine pretreated with neoadjuvant denosumab therapy followed by surgical resection in a 5-year-old child: case report and literature review
- 132 Downloads
We present a case report that describes neoadjuvant denosumab therapy initiated in a child with a solitary giant cell-rich juvenile xanthogranuloma tumor involving the spine, and review the current literature.
A giant cell-rich histiocytic lesion involving the 11th thoracic vertebral body was identified in a healthy 5-year-old girl with persistent back and pelvic pain for several months. Imaging examinations and an open biopsy were performed to obtain a definite pathologic diagnosis. As the tumor appeared to be aggressive in nature, we administered adjuvant therapy with denosumab preoperatively and then performed a total spondylectomy.
Histopathology confirmed that the tumor was juvenile xanthogranuloma. No tumor metastases or recurrence were detected at the 3-year follow-up, and the patient was asymptomatic.
In giant cell-rich tumors, denosumab is occasionally used as neoadjuvant or adjuvant therapy, especially for tumors in difficult locations or with substantial soft tissue extensions. Rare adverse events in children include skin infections and disruption of calcium homeostasis. Surgical treatment is aimed at removing the tumor and relieving the symptomatic spinal cord compression. Use of denosumab as neoadjuvant therapy for juvenile xanthogranuloma involving the spine has not been reported previously.
KeywordsSpine Tumor Xanthogranuloma Denosumab Hypercalcemia
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflicts of interest.
- 11.Ford JA, Jones R, Elders A, Mulatero C, Royle P, Sharma P, Stewart F, Todd R, Mowatt G (2013) Denosumab for treatment of bone metastases secondary to solid tumours: systematic review and network meta-analysis. Eur J Cancer 49:416–430. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejca.2012.07.016 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 12.Thomas D, Henshaw R, Skubitz K, Chawla S, Staddon A, Blay JY, Roudier M, Smith J, Ye Z, Sohn W, Dansey R, Jun S (2010) Denosumab in patients with giant-cell tumour of bone: an open-label, phase 2 study. Lancet Oncol 11:275–280. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1470-2045(10)70010-3 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 13.Gaston CL, Grimer RJ, Parry M, Stacchiotti S, Dei Tos AP, Gelderblom H, Ferrari S, Baldi GG, Jones RL, Chawla S, Casali P, LeCesne A, Blay JY, Dijkstra SP, Thomas DM, Rutkowski P (2016) Current status and unanswered questions on the use of denosumab in giant cell tumor of bone. Clin Sarcoma Res 6:15. https://doi.org/10.1186/s13569-016-0056-0 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 17.Goldschlager T, Dea N, Boyd M, Reynolds J, Patel S, Rhines LD, Mendel E, Pacheco M, Ramos E, Mattei TA, Fisher CG (2015) Giant cell tumors of the spine: Has denosumab changed the treatment paradigm? J Neurosurg Spine 22:526–533. https://doi.org/10.3171/2014.10.SPINE13937 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 20.Lange T, Stehling C, Fröhlich B, Klingenhöfer M, Kunkel P, Schneppenheim R, Escherich G, Gosheger G, Hardes J, Jürgens H, Schulte TL (2013) Denosumab: a potential new and innovative treatment option for aneurysmal bone cysts. Eur Spine J 22:1417–1422. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00586-013-2715-7 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 22.Boyce AM, Chong WH, Yao J, Gafni RI, Kelly MH, Chamberlain CE, Bassim C, Cherman N, Ellsworth M, Kasa-Vubu JZ, Farley FA, Molinolo AA, Bhattacharyya N, Collins MT (2012) Denosumab treatment for fibrous dysplasia. J Bone Miner Res 27:1462–1470. https://doi.org/10.1002/jbmr.1603 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 23.Grasemann C, Schündeln MM, Hövel M, Schweiger B, Bergmann C, Herrmann R, Wieczorek D, Zabel B, Wieland R, Hauffa BP (2013) Effects of RANK-ligand antibody (denosumab) treatment on bone turnover markers in a girl with juvenile Paget’s disease. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 98:3121–3126. https://doi.org/10.1210/jc.2013-1143 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 25.Chawla S, Henshaw R, Seeger L, Choy E, Blay JY, Ferrari S, Kroep J, Grimer R, Reichardt P, Rutkowski P, Schuetze S, Skubitz K, Staddon A, Thomas D, Qian Y, Jacobs I (2013) Safety and efficacy of denosumab for adults and skeletally mature adolescents with giant cell tumour of bone: interim analysis of an open-label, parallel-group, phase 2 study. Lancet Oncol 14:901–908. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1470-2045(13)70277-8 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 29.Favara BE, Feller AC, Pauli M, Jaffe ES, Weiss LM, Arico M, Bucsky P, Eqeler RM, Elinger G, Gadner H, Gresik M, Henter JI, Ilmashuku S, Janka-Schaud G, Jaffe R, Ladisch S, Nezelof C, Pritchard J (1997) Contemporary classification of histiocytic disorders. The WHO Committee On Histiocytic/Reticulum Cell Proliferations. Reclassification Working Group of the Histiocyte Society. Med Pediatr Oncol 29:157–166CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 35.Bhaisora K, Jaiswal A, Mehrotra A, Sahu RN, Srivastava A, Jaiswal S, Behari S (2015) Solitary juvenile xanthogranuloma of the cervical spine in a child: a case report and review of literature. Asian J Neurosurg 10:57. https://doi.org/10.4103/1793-5482.151525 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 38.Castro-Gago M, Gómez-Lado C, Alvez F, Alonso A, Vieites B (2009) Juvenile xanthogranuloma of the cauda equina. Pediatr Neurol 40:123–125. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pediatrneurol.2008.10.014 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar