Skeletal dissemination in Paget’s disease of the spine
Paget’s disease of bone (PDB) is a common skeletal disorder that is associated with locally increased bone turnover, skeletal deformity and pain. We report a case of skeletal dissemination in PDB of the spine.
A 46-year-old former professional athlete suffered from disseminated PDB throughout the spine and hips after various surgical interventions including spondylodesis, bone grafting and bone morphogenetic protein (rhBMP-2) administration. Only intravenous zoledronic acid prevented the further progression of skeletal dissemination, which was expressed by a normalization of (bone-specific) alkaline phosphatase levels. The biopsy obtained from the lumbar spine confirmed the diagnosis of PDB in the absence of malignant transformation.
We outline skeletal dissemination as a possibly surgery-related complication in a patient with PDB in the lumbar spine. Bisphosphonates remain the treatment of first choice in PDB and surgical interventions should be considered very carefully.
KeywordsPaget’s disease of bone Dissemination Bisphosphonates Alkaline phosphatase Spondylodesis
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
None of the authors has any potential conflict of interest.
- 1.Paget J (1877) On a form of chronic inflammation of bones (osteitis deformans). Med Chir Trans 60(37–64):39Google Scholar
- 3.Zimmermann EA, Kohne T, Bale HA, Panganiban B, Gludovatz B, Zustin J, Hahn M, Amling M, Ritchie RO, Busse B (2015) Modifications to nano- and microstructural quality and the effects on mechanical integrity in Paget’s disease of bone. J Bone Miner Res 30(2):264–273. https://doi.org/10.1002/jbmr.2340CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 4.Albagha OM, Visconti MR, Alonso N, Wani S, Goodman K, Fraser WD, Gennari L, Merlotti D, Gianfrancesco F, Esposito T, Rendina D, di Stefano M, Isaia G, Brandi ML, Giusti F, Del Pino-Montes J, Corral-Gudino L, Gonzalez-Sarmiento R, Ward L, Rea SL, Ratajczak T, Walsh JP, Ralston SH (2013) Common susceptibility alleles and SQSTM1 mutations predict disease extent and severity in a multinational study of patients with Paget’s disease. J Bone Miner Res 28(11):2338–2346. https://doi.org/10.1002/jbmr.1975CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 20.Dunford JE, Thompson K, Coxon FP, Luckman SP, Hahn FM, Poulter CD, Ebetino FH, Rogers MJ (2001) Structure-activity relationships for inhibition of farnesyl diphosphate synthase in vitro and inhibition of bone resorption in vivo by nitrogen-containing bisphosphonates. J Pharmacol Exp Ther 296(2):235–242PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 22.Al Nofal AA, Altayar O, BenKhadra K, Qasim Agha OQ, Asi N, Nabhan M, Prokop LJ, Tebben P, Murad MH (2015) Bone turnover markers in Paget’s disease of the bone: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Osteoporos Int 26(7):1875–1891. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00198-015-3095-0CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar