Validation of the simplified Chinese version of the quality of life questionnaire of the European foundation for osteoporosis (QUALEFFO-31)
To translate quality of life questionnaire of the European foundation for osteoporosis (QUALEFFO-31) into a simplified Chinese version, and test its reliability and validity in osteoporosis patients from mainland Chinese population.
Postmenopausal osteoporosis women with history of vertebral fracture were included as cases, and age-matched healthy female were included as controls. All subjects were from mainland China. The simplified Chinese version of QUALEFFO-31 and SF-36 were assigned to the two groups. Reliability was assessed using kappa statistics of agreement for each item and the intra-class correlation coefficient (ICC). The internal consistency was assessed with Cronbach’s α. Pearson’s correlation was used to assess convergent and discriminant validity.
Overall, 66 cases and 66 age-matched controls were included. The ICC for the test–retest reliability ranged from 0.76 to 0.91. Cronbach’s α for pain, physical function, and mental function domains were 0.94, 0.87, and 0.79, respectively. Convergent validity and discriminant validity showed that each correlation coefficient between score of each item with total score of related domain was higher than that with total score of unrelated domain. Pearson’s correlation coefficients indicated significantly high correlations between corresponding domains of QUALEFFO-31 and SF-36.
The simplified Chinese version of the QUALEFFO-31 is a reliable and valid outcome measure of functional status in patients with osteoporosis. This Chinese version of the QUALEFFO-31 can be utilized for future clinical studies in mainland China.
KeywordsOsteoporosis Validation Quality of life Questionnaires
We sincerely thank the healthy subjects and patients who contributed to this study.
Conflict of interest
No benefits in any form have been or will be received from a commercial party related directly or indirectly to the subject of this manuscript.
- 8.Aloumanis K, Karras D, Drossinos V, Korelis E, Polydorakis A (2011) Fracture incidence, quality of life, and back pain during 18-months treatment with teriparatide in Greek postmenopausal women with osteoporosis: results from the european forsteo observational study. J Osteoporos 2011:510398PubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 9.Cockerill W, Lunt M, Silman AJ, Cooper C, Lips P, Bhalla AK, Cannata JB, Eastell R, Felsenberg D, Gennari C, Johnell O, Kanis JA, Kiss C, Masaryk P, Naves M, Poor G, Raspe H, Reid DM, Reeve J, Stepan J, Todd C, Woolf AD, O’Neill TW (2004) Health-related quality of life and radiographic vertebral fracture. Osteoporos Int 15:113–119PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 10.Lips P, Cooper C, Agnusdei D, Caulin F, Egger P, Johnell O, Kanis JA, Liberman U, Minne H, Reeve J, Reginster JY, de Vernejoul MC, Wiklund I (1997) Quality of life as outcome in the treatment of osteoporosis: the development of a questionnaire for quality of life by the European foundation for osteoporosis. Osteoporos Int 7:36–38PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 11.Cooper C, Jakob F, Chinn C, Martin-Mola E, Fardellone P, Adami S, Thalassinos NC, Melo-Gomes J, Torgerson D, Gibson A, Marin F (2008) Fracture incidence and changes in quality of life in women with an inadequate clinical outcome from osteoporosis therapy: the observational study of severe osteoporosis (OSSO). Osteoporos Int 19:493–501PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 16.de Oliveira FN, Arthuso M, Da SR, Pinto-Neto AM, Costa-Paiva L (2013) Validation of the Portuguese version of the quality of life questionnaire of the European foundation for osteoporosis (QUALEFFO-41) in Brazilian women with postmenopausal osteoporosis with vertebral fracture. Clin Rheumatol 32:1585–1592CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 27.Lips P, Cooper C, Agnusdei D, Caulin F, Egger P, Johnell O, Kanis JA, Kellingray S, Leplege A, Liberman UA, McCloskey E, Minne H, Reeve J, Reginster JY, Scholz M, Todd C, de Vernejoul MC, Wiklund I (1999) Quality of life in patients with vertebral fractures: validation of the quality of life questionnaire of the European foundation for osteoporosis (QUALEFFO). Working party for quality of life of the European foundation for osteoporosis. Osteoporos Int 10:150–160PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 29.Nunnally and Bernstein (1994) Psychometric Theory, 3rd edn. McGraw Hill Inc, TorontoGoogle Scholar