Dietary flaxseed oil inhibits kidney NF-kappa B activation and pro-inflammatory cytokine expression in cisplatin-treated rats
- 16 Downloads
The current study explores the anti-inflammatory effect of flaxseed oil (FXO) on cisplatin (CP)-induced renal damage. Rats prefed with normal experimental diets (normal/FXO diet) for 10 days were administered 30 mg kg−1 and 50 mg kg−1 i.p. CP in a single dose, while still on the experimental diets. Significant improvement in kidney function test and antioxidant enzyme activities in rats treated with combination therapy (FXO + CP) was detected. Interestingly, treatment by FXO resulted in significant downregulation (P < 0.05) in interleukin (IL)-6 and IL-1β expression in the renal tissue in comparison with CP-treated rats. Moreover, administration of FXO yielding negative and mild positive brown immunostain for tumor necrosis factor-alpha (TNF-α) or mild and moderate positive brown immunostain for nuclear factor Kappa B (NF-kB) in the renal tissue of rats treated with 3 mg kg−1 CP + FXO and 5 mg kg−1 CP + FXO, respectively. The obtained results highlight the ameliorative anti-inflammatory effect of FXO in the renal damage associated with CP administration and confirm the necessity and usefulness of FXO dietary supplement when using CP in the treatment of cancer patients.
KeywordsCisplatin Flaxseed oil Nephrotoxicity Pro-inflammatory cytokines
Conceived and designed the experiments: HSK, SAE, GRE. Performed the experiments: HSK, SAE. Analyzed the data: MAR. Wrote and revised the paper: HSK, SAE, GRE, MAR.
Compliance with ethical standards
The authors declare that they have no competing interests.
All applicable international, national, and/or institutional guidelines for the care and use of animals were followed.
- Abdel-Moniem AE, Dkhil MA, Al-Quraishy S (2011) The potential role of flaxseed oil on lead acetate induced kidney injure in adult male albino rats. Afr J Biotechnol 10:1436–1451Google Scholar
- Aggarwal BB, Samanta A, Feldmann M (2001) NFα. In: Oppenheim, Feldmann M (eds) Cytokine reference, vol 1. Academic Press, San Diego, pp 413–434Google Scholar
- Ohkawa H, Ohishi W, Yagi K et al (1979) Assay for lipid peroxides in animal tissues by thiobarbituric acid reaction. Biochem 95:351–358Google Scholar
- Rizk MA, El-Sayed SAE-S, Terkawi MA, Youssef MA, El Said ESES, Elsayed G, El-Khodery S, Al-Ashker M, Elsify A, Omar M, Salama A, Yokoyama N, Igarashi I (2015) Optimization of a fluorescence−based assay for large-scale drug screening against Babesia and Theileria parasites. PLoS One 10:e0125276CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Wahba HM, Ibrahim TA (2013) Protective effect of flaxseed oil and vitamin E on potassium bromate-induced oxidative stress in male rats. Int J Curr Microbiol App Sci 2:299–309Google Scholar
- Williams DS, Verghese M, Walker LT, Boateng J et al (2008) Chemopreventive effects of flaxseed oil and flax seed meal on azoxymethane-induced colon tumors in fisher 344 male rats. Int J Cancer Res 2:28–40Google Scholar
- Young DS (2001) Effects of disease on clinical lab. Tests, 4th ed AACCGoogle Scholar