A HJB-POD feedback synthesis approach for the wave equation
- 57 Downloads
We propose a computational approach for the solution of an optimal control problem governed by the wave equation. We aim at obtaining approximate feedback laws by means of the application of the dynamic programming principle. Since this methodology is only applicable for low-dimensional dynamical systems, we first introduce a reduced-order model for the wave equation by means of Proper Orthogonal Decomposition. The coupling between the reduced-order model and the related dynamic programming equation allows to obtain the desired approximation of the feedback law. We discuss numerical aspects of the feedback synthesis and providenumerical tests illustrating this approach.
Keywordsoptimal control feedback control dynamic programming Hamilton-Jacobi-Bellman equation Proper Orthogonal Decomposition wave equation
Mathematical subject classificationPrimary: 49J20, 49N35, 78M34 Secondary: 49L20, 93B52
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- A. Alla and M. Falcone. An adaptive POD approximation method for the control of advection-diffusion equations, in K. Kunisch, K. Bredies, C. Clason, G. von Winckel, (eds.) Control and Optimization with PDE Constraints, International Series of Numerical Mathematics, 164, Birkhäuser, Basel, (2013), 1–17.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- A. Alla and M. Falcone. A Time-Adaptive POD Method for Optimal Control Problems, in the Proceedings of the 1st IFACWorkshop on Control of SystemsModeled by Partial Differential Equations, 1 (2013), 245–250.Google Scholar
- A. Alla and M. Hinze. HJB-POD feedback control for Navier-Stokes equations, preprint, available at: http://preprint.math.uni-hamburg.de/public/papers/hbam/hbam2014-09.pdf.Google Scholar
- S. Ervedoza and E. Zuazua. The wave equation: control and numerics. Control of partial differential equations, Lecture Notes in Math., 2048, Springer, Heidelberg, (2012), 245–339.Google Scholar
- M. Falcone. Some remarks on the synthesis of feedback controls via numerical methods, in J.L. Menaldi, E. Rofman, A. Sulem (eds), Optimal Control and Partial Differential Equations, IOS Press, (2001), 456–465.Google Scholar
- M. Gubisch and S. Volkwein. Proper Orthogonal Decomposition for Linear-Quadratic Optimal Control, preprint, available at: http://kops.ub.uni-konstanz.de/handle/urn:nbn:de:bsz:352-250378.Google Scholar
- D. Kalise and A. Kröner. Reduced-order minimum time control of advectionreaction-diffusion systems via dynamic programming. Proceedings of the 21st International Symposium on Mathematical Theory of Networks and Systems, (2014), 1196–1202.Google Scholar
- D. Kalise, A. Kröner and K. Kunisch. Local minimization algorithms for dynamic programming equations, preprint, available at: http://www.ricam.oeaw.ac.at/ publications/reports/15/rep15-04.pdf.Google Scholar
- A. Kröner, K. Kunisch and H. Zidani. Optimal feedback control of undamped wave equations by solving a HJB equation, preprint, available at: http://www.cmap. polytechnique.fr/kroener/KroenerKunischZidani2013.pdf.Google Scholar
- I. Lasiecka and R. Triggiani. Global exact controllability of semilinearwave equations by a double compactness/uniqueness argument. Discrete Contin. Dyn. Syst., (2005), 556–565.Google Scholar