Design, analysis, and fabrication of silicon-based MEMS gyroscope for high-g shock platform
- 80 Downloads
This paper proposes a silicon-based micro-electro-mechanical systems (MEMS) tuning fork gyroscope designed for high-g shock environments. The results obtained by a shock experiment demonstrate that MEMS gyroscopes can still work well after a load of 30,000 g is applied to the y-axis. This MEMS gyroscope is double symmetrical and connected by middle coupling beams. The results obtained by mathematical analysis and finite element analysis revealed that the designed solid stoppers are helpful in improving the gyroscope’s shock resistance. The high aspect-ratio structures were fabricated by an efficient fabrication process using a silicon-on-glass wafer. To investigate the mechanical characteristics of the fabricated gyroscopes, the silicone’s fracture strength and Young’s modulus were obtained by conducting tensile tests. The working frequencies of the gyroscope were designed as 4000 Hz, and the driving and sensing modes in the test were 4095 Hz and 4137 Hz, respectively.
The research is supported by the State Key National Project (6141B021310).
- Acar C, Shkel A (2008) MEMS vibratory gyroscopes: structural approaches to improve robustness. SpringerGoogle Scholar
- Gao LZ, Zhang XM, Wang Y (2015) Performance testing of MEMS gyroscope for rotating ammunition. J Test Meas Technol 29:118–122Google Scholar
- Lin R, Li W, Zhao J et al (2013a) Optimization research on anti-high shock ability of quartz MEMS gyroscope. Piezoelectr Acoustoopt 35:56–58Google Scholar
- Lin RL, Li WY et al (2013b) Optimization research on anti high shock ability of quartz MEMS gyroscope. Piezoelectr Acoustoopt 35:56–58Google Scholar
- Si C, Han G, Ning J et al (2014) Shock resistance design of a high-performance MEMS tuning-fork gyroscope. Micronanoelectron Technol 51:302–307Google Scholar
- Wang K, Zhang X, Tian J (2016) A rolling angle measurement algorithm based on fusion of two-axis accelerometer and MEMS gyroscope. J Xian Technol Univ 36:726–730Google Scholar
- Yoon SJ et al (2015b) Design and analysis of MEMS vibrating ring gyroscope considering high-g shock reliability. Korean Inst Electr Eng 64:1440–1447Google Scholar