Sheet carrier concentration and current–voltage analysis of Al0.15Ga0.85N/GaN/Al0.15Ga0.85N double heterostructure hemt incorporating the effect of traps
- 20 Downloads
An analytical approach incorporating traps (donor type) in the AlGaN layer at the top and bottom heterointerface is proposed to determine threshold voltage (Vth), net sheet carrier concentration (ns) and drain current in Al0.15Ga0.85N/GaN/Al0.15Ga0.85N double-heterostructure (DH) high electron mobility transistor (HEMT). Generation of carriers in the 2DEG due to detrapping of these donor traps have been thoroughly studied in the present analysis. Due to traps in the upper and lower AlGaN layer, two 2DEG channels formed, such that ns in a DH-HEMT is nearly twice as compared to that obtained in single heterostructure (SH). Due to increased 2DEG density, drain current is more in DH-HEMT as compared to SH-HEMT. The effect of incorporation of these donor traps on Vth, ns and drain current of DH-HEMT as compared to SH-HEMT has been studied. The effect of Al mole fraction, AlGaN layer thickness, mobility, trap concentration and temperature on drain current of DH-HEMT as compared to SH-HEMT has also been studied. The analysis has been performed considering both, undoped structure (in which traps only contribute to 2DEG formation) and a doped structure (in which the traps as well as the donors from the doped layer contribute to 2DEG formation).
Authors are thankful to the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO), Ministry of Defence (Govt. of India) for providing financial assistance under the grant ERIP/P/ER/DG-Med & CoS/991115506/M/01/1663 to carry out this research work.
- Ambacher O, Smart J, Shealy JR, Wiemann NG, Chu K, Murphy M, Schaff WJ, Eastman LF, Dimitrov R, Wittmer L, Stutzmann M, Rieger W, Hilsenbeck J (1999) Two dimensional electron gas induced by spontaneous and piezoelectric polarization charges in N- and Ga-face AlGaN/GaN heterostructures. J Appl Phys 85(6):3222–3233CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- ATLAS (2018) 2D Device Simulator. Silvaco InternationalGoogle Scholar
- Chugh N, Bhattacharya M, Kumar M, Gupta RS (2017) Sheet Carrier concentration and threshold voltage modeling of asymmetrically doped AlGaN/GaN/AlGaN Double Heterostructure HEMT. In: UPCON, pp 446–451, Oct, 2017Google Scholar
- Chugh N, Bhattacharya M, Kumar M, Gupta RS (2017) Impact of temperature and Al composition on the threshold voltage and sheet carrier concentration of AlmGa1-mN/GaN/AlmGa1-mN double heterostructure HEMT. In: Accepted for publication in Springer proceedings in XIXth IWPSD, 2017Google Scholar
- Gangwani P, Pandey S, Haldar S, Gupta M, Gupta RS (2007) Polarization dependent analysis of AlGaN/GaN HEMT for high power applications. Superlattices Microstruct 51:130–135Google Scholar
- Min-Han M, Kai Z, Xing C, Sheng-Lei Z, Chong W, Jin-Cheng Z, Xiao-Hua M, Yue H (2014) Non-recessed-gate quasi-E-mode double heterojunction AlGaN/GaN high electron mobility transistor with high breakdown voltage. Chin Phys B 23(7):077304-1–077304-4Google Scholar
- Rohdin H, Roblin P (1986) A MODFET dc model with Improved Pinchoff and saturation characteristics. ITED ED-33(5):664–672Google Scholar
- Yang Jie, Sharon Cui TP, Ma Hung T-H, Nath D, Krishnamoorthy S, Rajan S (2013) Electron tunneling spectroscopy study of electrically active traps in AlGaN/GaN high electron mobility transistors. App Phys Lett 103:223507(1)–223507(4)Google Scholar