Design and analysis of MEMS based piezoelectric energy harvester for machine monitoring application
- 28 Downloads
In this paper a new structure of MEMS based piezoelectric (PZ) energy harvester with resonant frequency of 100 Hz is proposed which can be integrated with machine monitoring wireless sensor nodes. Various geometries having different structures of PZ cantilevers have been investigated. The constant length of 5 mm is chosen for all the cantilever beams. A new Perforated Tapered shaped cantilever beam has been proposed. The achieved resonant frequency of the final proposed perforated Tapered structure with proof mass is 101 Hz, which is 27.5% lower than that of the commonly used rectangular structure having same dimensions (including proof mass). The peak voltage output of the proposed structure is 8.5 V which 97% higher than that of the commonly used rectangular structure.
We, the authors, would like to express our special thanks to Science and Engineering Research Board (SERB), Govt. of India for funding to execute this research. This research was not possible without the help and support of BIT Mesra, Ranchi and SERB, Govt. of India.
- Bindu RS, Kushal Potdar M (2014) Study of piezoelectric cantilever energy harvesters. Int J Innovat Res Dev 3Google Scholar
- Chaudhuri D, Kundu S (2017) MEMS piezoelectric energy harvester to power wireless sensor nodes for machine monitoring application. Devices for Integrated circuits (DevIC), pp 584–588Google Scholar
- Elbahr H, Ali TA, Badawi A, Sedky S (2014) Simulation of a new PZT energy harvester with a lower resonance frequency using COMSOL multiphysics. Comsol conference, BostonGoogle Scholar
- Liu H, Tay CJ, Quan C, Kobayashi T, Lee C (2011a) A MEMS-based piezoelectric cantilever patterned with PZT thin film array for harvesting energy from low frequency vibrations. 2011 International Conference on Optics in Precision Engineering and NanotechnologyGoogle Scholar
- Reddy VM, Sunil GV (2013) Design and analysis of microcantilevers with various shapes. Int J Emerg Adv Eng 3Google Scholar
- Shen Z, Liu S, Miao J, Who LS, Wang Z (2013) Proof mass effects on spiral electrode d33 mode Piezoelectric Diaphragm-based Energy Harvester. IEEE Conference PublicationsGoogle Scholar