Grey optimization of injection molding processing of plastic optical lens based on joint consideration of aberration and birefringence effects
- 41 Downloads
The optical performance of injection molded plastic lenses is seriously degraded by the warpage and residual stress induced during the molding process. In particular, warpage produces optical aberrations, while residual stress causes birefringence. Consequently, it is essential that the processing parameters used in the molding process are properly assigned. Accordingly, the present study first applies the robust Taguchi design methodology to determine the processing conditions which independently minimize the warpage and residual stress of the molded lens, respectively. The two sets of parameters are then further analyzed using a grey relational analysis model to establish the processing parameters which simultaneously minimize both the warpage and the residual stress. The simulation results confirm that the joint optimization process yields an effective improvement in the quality of the injection molded lens.
The authors gratefully acknowledge the financial support provided to this study by the Ministry of Science and Technology of Taiwan, ROC, under Grant numbers MOST 104-2815-C-415-068-E and MOST 106-2221-E-415-006.
- Bociaga E, Jaruga T, Lubczynska K, Gnatowski A (2010) Warpage of injection moulded parts as the result of mould temperature difference. Arch Mater Sci Eng 44:28–34Google Scholar
- Crawford RJ (1985) Plastics engineering. Pergamon, OxfordGoogle Scholar
- Hsia KH, Wu JH (1998) A study on the data preprocessing in grey relation analysis. J Chin Grey Syst 1:47–54Google Scholar
- Kennedy PK (2008) Practical and scientific aspects of injection molding simulation. Technische Universiteit Eindhoven, EindhovenGoogle Scholar
- Lin CM, Tan CM, Wang CK (2013) Gate design optimization in the injection molding of the optical lens. Optoelectron Adv Mater Rapid Commun 7:580–584Google Scholar
- Rosato DV (1986) Injection moulding handbook. Van Nostrand Reinhold, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Shayfull Z, Ghazali MF, Azaman M, Nasir SM, Faris NA (2010) Effect of differences core and cavity temperature on injection molded part and reducing the warpage by Taguchi method. Int J Eng Technol 10:125–132Google Scholar
- Shyu GD, Isayyev AI, Lee HS (2003) Numerical simulation of flow-induced birefringence in injection molded disk. Jpn Korea Plast Process Jt Semin 4:41–47Google Scholar