Analysis of a fiber-optic deep-etched silicon Fabry–Perot temperature sensor and modeling its fabrication imperfections
- 64 Downloads
Design and fabrication of an in-plane silicon Fabry–Perot temperature sensor for fiber-optic temperature sensing was reported in our previous work. To fabricate this sensor, deep reactive ion etching process was utilized which is challenging due to the large depth of etching needed for the device. Required optically smooth surfaces and highly vertical sidewalls as well as minimum amount of under-etch are difficult to be achieved in deep-etched structures. Here, the fabrication errors are briefly introduced and thereafter a numerical analysis based on the transfer-matrix formulation for propagation of Gaussian beams across the proposed silicon Fabry–Perot resonator is developed. Finally, the fabricated sensor is modeled and the device performance degradation due to fabrication imperfections is estimated.
The authors would like to thank Mr. Amideddin Mataji-Kojouri from the Photonics Research Lab., School of ECE, University of Tehran, for supplying the TLM Matlab code.
- Deng Q, Li X, Chen R et al (2014) Low-cost silicon photonic temperature sensor using broadband light source. In: IEEE 11th international conference on group IV photonics (GFP). https://doi.org/10.1109/Group4.2014.6962033
- Jung I, Park B, Provine J et al (2009) Photonic crystal fiber tip sensor for precision temperature sensing. In: IEEE LEOS annual meeting conference. https://doi.org/10.1109/LEOS.2009.5343346
- Klimov N, Berger M, Ahmed Z (2015a) Towards reproducible ring resonator based temperature sensors. Sens Transducers J 191(8):63–66Google Scholar
- Laermer F, Schilp A (1996) Method of anisotropically etching silicon. US Patent 26(3):5501893Google Scholar
- Park B, Jung I, Provine J et al (2010) Monolithic silicon photonic crystal fiber tip sensor for refractive index and temperature sensing. In: IEEE conference on lasers and electro-optics and quantum electronics and laser science. https://doi.org/10.1364/CLEO.2010.CThB1
- Qiu C, Hu T, Yu P et al (2012) A temperature sensor based on silicon eye-like microring with sharp asymmetric fano resonance. In: IEEE 9th international conference on group IV photonics (GFP). https://doi.org/10.1109/GROUP4.2012.6324107
- Zarei S, Mohajerzadeh S, Shahabadi M (2017) Design and fabrication of a fiber-optic deep-etched silicon Fabry–Perot temperature sensor. In: IEEE international conference on telecommunications and photonics (ICTP). https://doi.org/10.1109/ICTP.2017.8285921