Investigation on design flow of a millimeter-scale radial turbine for micro gas turbine
- 54 Downloads
As compared to the conventional large scale gas turbines, the aerothermodynamics design of a micro gas turbine will be quite different not only due to the small scale effects, but also due to the constraints associated with many considerations. As a major component and main work unit of the micro gas turbine, the design flow and the design results of the micro radial turbine directly determine the physical realization of the micro gas turbine. This paper mainly presents the investigation and discussion on scaling considerations and the design flow through a micro radial turbine which with diameter of 10 mm for a 50 W-class micro gas turbine. Firstly, theoretical analysis of scaling effects, thermodynamics, fluid mechanics, turbomachinery aerothermodynamics, heat transfer and rotor dynamics are described. Secondly, four sub-modules of different design considerations are constructed and the periodical design results are presented. Finally, the design flow of millimeter-scale radial turbine is proposed. The results indicate that the distinctive design principles and design challenges are not negligible and the discussions and definitions of the design flow for the micro turbine are essential. These works not only methodize the design details, but also define the basic design flow as the reference for the new designer.
This work was supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (NSFC) (Grant number 51206126).
- Capata R (2015) Experimental tests of the operating conditions of a micro gas turbine device. J Energy Power Eng 9:326–335Google Scholar
- Epstein AH, Senturia SD, Al-Midani O (1997a) Micro-heat engines, gas turbines, and rocket engines. In: The 28th AIAA fluid dynamics conference, AIAA-1997-1773Google Scholar
- Fréchette LG (2000) Development of a microfabricated silicon motor-driven compression system, Ph.D. Thesis, MIT Department of Aeronautics and AstronauticsGoogle Scholar
- Isomura K, Murayama M, Kawakubo T (2001) Feasibility study of a gas turbine at micro scale. In: ASME Paper 2001-GT-101. 10.1115/2001-GT-0101Google Scholar
- Isomura K, Murayama M, Yamaguchi H (2002a) Component development of micromachined gas turbine generators. In: Technical digest power MEMS, pp 32–35Google Scholar
- Isomura K. Murayama M, Tanaka S, Yamaguchi H, Ijichi N, Genda T et al (2002b) Development of microturbocharger and microcombustor for a three-dimensional gas turbine at microscale. In: ASME Paper GT2002-30580Google Scholar
- Jacobson SA (2006) Aerothermal challenges in the design of a microfabricated gas turbine engine. In: AIAA paper, fluid dynamics conferenceGoogle Scholar
- Lee C, Arslan S, Fréchette LG (2008) Design principles and measured performance of multistage radial flow microturbomachinery at low reynolds numbers. J Fluids Eng 130:111103-1–11110311Google Scholar
- Lin CC (1999) Development of a Microfabricated turbine-driven air bearing rig, Ph.D. Thesis, MIT Department of Mechanical EngineeringGoogle Scholar
- Matsuo E, Yoshiki H, Nagashima T (2002) Development of ultra gas turbines. In: Technical digest power MEMS, pp 36–39Google Scholar
- Matsuura K, Kato C, Yoshiki H (2003) Prototyping of small-sized two-dimensional radial turbines. In: International gas turbine congress, IGTC-OS107, pp 1–7Google Scholar