“LIGA2.X” process for mass production of single polymeric LIGA micro parts
- 203 Downloads
The new modification of the LIGA process “LIGA2.X” is a promising process chain to replicate high accuracy single polymeric LIGA micro parts in large scale to feasible costs. The advantages of this new approach compared to the standard LIGA process are the reduction of fabrication costs, the elimination of any rework after replication, industry suitable mold technology for injection molding using a new developed demolding concept, optimized injection molding parameters for every single cavity, shot volumes of the parts below 0.5 mm3 and a new freedom in the arrangement of structure cavities in multicavity molds. Aspects covered in this paper are the introduction of the complete process chain of the new “LIGA2.X” process and the used mold concept for the micro-män 50 micro injection molding machine. Furthermore replicated single polymeric LIGA microparts fabricated using the new process chain are shown. To conclude, potential process improvements and future work will be outlined.
KeywordsInjection Molding Process Chain Mold Insert Residual Layer Injection Molding Machine
We gratefully acknowledge the participating company, Otto Männer GmbH. This work was carried out with the support of the Karlsruhe Nano Micro Facility (KNMF, www.kit.edu/knmf), a Helmholtz Research Infrastructure at Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT, www.kit.edu). Thanks also to the colleagues Michael Gehring and Ulrich Kaczmarek from the Otto Männer GmbH for their work.
- Guttmann M et al (2005) Lithographic fabrication of mold inserts. In: Advanced micro and nanosystems, vol. 3 microengineering of metals and ceramics, Wiley, WeinheimGoogle Scholar
- KIT (2013) ANKA-userguide. http://iwrwww5.fzk.de/smis/userguide/anka_guidelines_frame.htm
- Menz W et al (2005) Mikrosystemtechnik für Ingenieure, 3. completely revised and enlarged Edition, Wiley, WeinheimGoogle Scholar
- O.M. GmbH (2013) Männer micro-män 50 Vollelektrische Mikrospritzgießsystem. http://www.maenner-group.com/text2/233/de/heisskanal/micro-molding-systems/micro-maen-50.html
- Saile V et al (2009) Advanced micro and nanosystems, volume 7—LIGA and its applications. Wiley, WeinheimGoogle Scholar