Hardware implementation of an electrostatic MEMS-actuator linearization
- 145 Downloads
In this paper, an electrostatic actuator linearization will be introduced, which is based on an existing hardware-efficient iterative square root algorithm. The algorithm is solely based on add and shift operations while just needing n/2 iterations for an n bit wide input signal. As a practical example, the nonlinear input transformation will be utilized for the design of the primary mode controller of a capacitive MEMS gyroscope and an implementation of the algorithm will be instantiated in the Verilog hardware description language. Furthermore, an implementation of an improved version of the algorithm will be given reducing the number of needed iterations to n/2 − 1 for an n bit wide input signal while just requiring an acceptable additional amount of hardware resources. Finally, measurement results will validate the feasibility of the presented control concept and its hardware implementation.
KeywordsField Programmable Gate Array Hardware Implementation Secondary Oscillator Primary Oscillator Multiplicative Algorithm
This work was funded by the German BMBF as part of the EURIPIDES project RESTLES (project number 16SV3579).
- Egretzberger M (2010) Mathematical modeling and control of micro electromechanical gyroscopes. Shaker, AachenGoogle Scholar
- Egretzberger M, Mair F, Kugi A (2010) Control of vibratory MEMS gyroscopes based on envelope models. In: IFAC symposium on mechatronic systems, Cambridge, pp 441–446Google Scholar
- Günthner S (2006) Entwurf und Charakterisierung von mikromechanischen Drehratensensoren in Silizium. Shaker, AachenGoogle Scholar
- Hennessy JL, Patterson DA (2007) Computer architecture, a quantitative approach, 4th edn. M. Kaufmann, San FranciscoGoogle Scholar
- Koren I (2002) Computer arithmetic algorithms, 2nd edn. A K Peters, NatickGoogle Scholar
- Li Y, Chu W (1996) A new non-restoring square root algorithm and its VLSI implementations. In: Proceedings of the IEEE international conference on computer design: VLSI in computers and processors, Austin, pp 538–544Google Scholar
- Mair F, Egretzberger M, Kugi A (2009) A tool for the automatic modeling of capacitive MEMS gyroscopes. In: Proceedings of the 6th Vienna international conference on mathematical modelling, Vienna, Austria, pp 2228–2235Google Scholar
- Meyer-Baese U (2007) Digital signal processing with field programmable gate arrays, 3rd edn. Springer, Berlin HeidelbergGoogle Scholar
- Tommiska MT (2000) Area-efficient implementation of a fast square root algorithm. In: Proceedings of the 2000 third IEEE international caracas conference on devices, circuits and systems, Cancun, Mexico, pp S18/1–S18/4Google Scholar
- Xilinx (2010) PlanAhead User Guide 12.3. Xilinx, Inc., http://www.xilinx.com