3D System-on-Chip technologies for More than Moore systems
- 772 Downloads
3D integration is a key solution to the predicted performance problems of future ICs as well as it offers extreme miniaturization and cost-effective fabrication of More than Moore products. Through silicon via (TSV) technologies enable high interconnect performance compared to 3D packaging. At present TSVs are associated with a relatively high fabrication cost, but research world wide strive to bring the cost down to an acceptable level. An example of a 3D System-on-Chip (3D-SOC) technology is to introduce a post backend-of-line TSV process as an optimized technology for heterogeneous system integration. The introduced ICV-SLID process, that combines both TSVs and bonding, enables 3D integration of fabricated devices. Reliability issues related to thermo-mechanical stress caused by the TSV formation and the bonding are considered. 3D-SOC technology choices made to realize a heterogeneous ultra-small IC stack for a wireless tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS) as an automotive application are described.
KeywordsSensor Node Wireless Sensor Network Moore System CMOS Image Sensor Tire Pressure Monitoring System
This report is partly based on a project supported by the European Commission under support-no. IST-026461. The authors would like to thank the colleagues of the e-CUBES project, especially Thomas Herndl, Josef Prainsack and Werner Weber/Infineon, Nicolas Lietaer/SINTEF/Gjermund Kittilsland/Sensonor, Peter Schneider and Sven Reitz/Fraunhofer IIS, Eberhard Kaulfersch, Robert Wieland, Reinhard Merkel, Lars Nebrich and Matthias Klein/Fraunhofer IZM.
- Arkalgud S (2008) SEMATECH 3-D TSV technology development. In: Proceedings of the international 3D system integration conference 3D-SIC 2008. Tokyo, JapanGoogle Scholar
- e-CUBES project (2009) http://www.ecubes.org
- Garrou P, Bower C, Ramm P (2008) Handbook of 3D integration. Wiley-VCH, New York, ISBN: 978-3-527-32034-9Google Scholar
- I-micronews (Yole Developpement) (2008) 3D IC, WLP and TSV packaging newsletter. http://www.imicronews.com
- International Technology Roadmap for Semiconductors (ITRS) (2007) http://www.public.itrs.net
- Ramm P, Wolf J, Wunderle B (2008a) Wafer-level 3D system integration. In: Handbook of 3D integration. Wiley-VCH, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Ramm P, Wolf J, Klumpp A, Wieland R, Wunderle B, Michel B (2008b) Through silicon via technology. In: Proceedings of the 58th ECTC. Lake Buena Vista, FLGoogle Scholar
- Schjølberg-Henriksen K, Taklo MMV, Lietaer N, Prainsack J, Dielacher M, Klein M, Wolf MJ, Weber J, Ramm P, Seppänen T (2009) Miniaturised sensor node for tire pressure monitoring (e-CUBES). Advanced microsystems for automotive applications 2009 (s. 313–332). Springer, BerlinGoogle Scholar