Mechanical behavior of a circular micro plate subjected to uniform hydrostatic and non-uniform electrostatic pressure
- 392 Downloads
Circular micro plates are used in the many Microelectromechanical devices as micropumps and micro pressure sensors. All such systems exhibit a static instability phenomenon (Divergence) which is known as the “pull-in” instability. In this paper a distributed model was used to investigate the pull-in instability of a circular micro plate subjected to non-uniform electrostatic pressure and uniform hydrostatic pressure. The non-linear governing equation was derived and in order to linearize the obtained governing equations, step by step linearization method was used, then the linear system of equation was solved by finite difference method. The obtained results for only electrostatic actuation were compared with the existing results and good agreement has been achieved. There are exist two method of actuation. The pull-in voltages for these two actuation mechanism were investigated and the obtained results exhibited different effects on each actuation mechanism.
KeywordsHydrostatic Pressure Applied Voltage Actuation Mechanism Actuation Voltage Soap Film
The authors are grateful for the critical and helpful comments of the anonymous referees.
- Gupta RK (1993) Electrostatic pull-in test structure design for in-situ mechanical property measurement of microelectromechanical systems (MEMS). Thesis for degree of Doctor of Philosophy, S. M. Massachusetts Institute of TechnologyGoogle Scholar
- Nathanson HC, Newell WE, Wickstrom RA, Davis JR (1967) The resonant gate transistor. IEEE Trans Elect Devices 14:117–133Google Scholar
- Osterberg P (1995) Electrostatically actuated microelectromechanical test structures for material property measurement. PhD thesis, MITGoogle Scholar
- Rezazadeh Gh, Tahmasebi A (2006) Eliminating of the residual stresses effect in the fixed-fixed end type MEM switches by piezoelectric layers. J Sens Transducers 66(4):534–542Google Scholar
- Sadeghian H, Rezazadeh Gh, Abbaspour E, Tahmasebi A, Hosainzadeh I (2006) The effect of residual stress on pull-in voltage of fixed-fixed end type MEM switches with variative electrostatic area. Proc IEEE-NEMS, Zuhai 18–21Google Scholar
- Soleymani P, Sadeghian H, Tahmasebi A, Rezazadeh Gh (2006) Pull-in instability investigation of circular micro pump subjected to nonlinear electrostatic force. Sens Transducers J 69(7):622–628Google Scholar
- Shi W (1999) The important applied field of microtechnology nami-technology microsensor. J Sens 12:70–72Google Scholar