Accuracy and trending ability of the fourth-generation FloTrac/Vigileo System™ in patients undergoing abdominal aortic aneurysm surgery
- 68 Downloads
The fourth-generation FloTrac/Vigileo™ improved its algorithm to follow changes in systemic vascular resistance index (SVRI). This revision may improve the accuracy and trending ability of CI even in patients who undergo abdominal aortic aneurysm (AAA) surgery which cause drastic change of SVRI by aortic clamping. The purpose of this study is to elucidate the accuracy and trending ability of the fourth-generation FloTrac/Vigileo™ in patients with AAA surgery by comparing the FloTrac/Vigileo™-derived CI (CIFT) with that measured by three-dimensional echocardiography (CI3D).
Twenty-six patients undergoing elective AAA surgery were included in this study. CIFT and CI3D were determined simultaneously in eight points including before and after aortic clamp. We used CI3D as the reference method.
In the Bland–Altman analysis, CIFT had a wide limit of agreement with CI3D showing a percentage error of 46.7%. Subgroup analysis showed that the percentage error between CO3D and COFT was 56.3% in patients with cardiac index < 2.5 L/min/m2 and 28.4% in patients with cardiac index ≥ 2.5 L/min/m2. SVRI was significantly higher in patients with cardiac index < 2.5 L/min/m2 (1703 ± 330 vs. 2757 ± 798; p < 0.001). The tracking ability of fourth generation of FloTrac/Vigileo™ after aortic clamp was not clinically acceptable (26.9%).
The degree of accuracy of the fourth-generation FloTrac/Vigileo™ in patients with AAA surgery was not acceptable. The tracking ability of the fourth-generation FloTrac/Vigileo™ after aortic clamp was below the acceptable limit.
KeywordsBlood pressure monitors Cardiac output Echocardiography Ultrasound
We thank Jane Charbonneau, DVM, from Edanz Group (www.edanzediting.com/ac) for editing a draft of this manuscript. We are also grateful to the resident doctors who cared for the patients in this study, for their cooperation. This research was supported in part by JSPS KAKENHI Grant Number JP17K11100.
- 1.Mor-Avi V, Jenkins C, Kühl HP, Nesser HJ, Marwick T, Franke A, Ebner C, Freed BH, Steringer-Mascherbauer R, Pollard H, Weinert L, Niel J, Sugeng L, Lang RM. Real-time 3-dimensional echocardiographic quantification of left ventricular volumes: multicenter study for validation with magnetic resonance imaging and investigation of sources of error. JACC Cardiovasc Imaging. 2008;1:413–23.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 3.Shimada YJ, Ishikawa K, Kawase Y, Ladage D, Tilemann L, Shiota T, Hajjar RJ. Comparison of left ventricular stroke volume assessment by two- and three-dimensional echocardiography in a swine model of acute myocardial infarction validated by thermodilution method. Echocardiography. 2012;29:1091–5.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 6.Jakubovic BD, Wald R, Goldstein MB, Leong-Poi H, Yuen DA, Perl J, Lima JA, Liu JJ, Kirpalani A, Dacouris N, Wald R, Connelly KA, Yan AT. Comparative assessment of 2-dimensional echocardiography vs cardiac magnetic resonance imaging in measuring left ventricular mass in patients with and without end-stage renal disease. Can J Cardiol. 2013;29:384–90.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 9.Maeda T, Sakurai R, Nakagawa K, Morishima K, Maekawa M, Furumoto K, Kono T, Egawa A, Kubota Y, Kato S, Okamura H, Yoshitani K, Ohnishi Y. Cardiac resynchronization therapy-induced cardiac index increase measured by three-dimensional echocardiography can predict decreases in brain natriuretic peptide. J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth. 2016;30:599–605.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 10.Biancofiore G, Critchley LA, Lee A, Yang XX, Bindi LM, Esposito M, Bisà M, Meacci L, Mozzo R, Filipponi F. Evaluation of a new software version of the FloTrac/Vigileo (version 3.02) and a comparison with previous data in cirrhotic patients undergoing liver transplant surgery. Anesth Analg. 2011;113:515–22.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 23.Zoghbi WA, Enriquez-Sarano M, Foster E, Grayburn PA, Kraft CD, Levine RA, Nihoyannopoulos P, Otto CM, Quinones MA, Rakowski H, Stewart WJ, Waggoner A, Weissman NJ. Recommendations for evaluation of the severity of native valvular regurgitation with two-dimensional and Doppler echocardiography. J Am Soc Echocardiogr. 2003;16:777–802.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar