Surgical treatment of perihilar cholangiocarcinoma in octogenarians: a single center experience
Surgery can offer the only chance for a cure in patients with perihilar cholangiocarcinoma, and a growing number of elderly patients are undergoing resection. The purpose of this study was to evaluate the impact of patient age on surgery for perihilar cholangiocarcinoma.
From 2001 to 2011, 431 consecutive patients underwent a potentially curative resection for perihilar cholangiocarcinoma at the Division of Surgical Oncology, Department of Surgery, Nagoya University Graduate School of Medicine. Perioperative and long-term outcomes after surgery were compared between octogenarians (80 years and older, n = 21) and younger patients (less than 80 years old, n = 410).
All 21 octogenarians were healthy and deemed to be candidates for surgery; however, twenty (95 %) had one or more comorbidities. Nineteen (90 %) octogenarians underwent major hepatectomy with bile duct resection and the remaining two (10 %) underwent bile duct resection only, whereas almost all the (99 %) younger patients underwent hepatectomy (P = 0.021). Postoperative morbidity and mortality occurred in 57 and 5 % of the octogenarians, respectively. These rates were similar to those in the younger patients (P = 0.372 and P = 0.332, respectively). The overall 3- and 5-year survival rates in the octogenarians were both 56.8 %, and 3 patients survived for more than 5 years. Their survival rate was similar to that of the younger patients (P = 0.348).
Surgery for perihilar cholangiocarcinoma can be safely performed even in octogenarians, and careful patient selection can lead to acceptable morbidity, mortality, and long-term survival. Octogenarian patients should not be precluded from surgical resection for perihilar cholangiocarcinoma.
KeywordsPerihilar cholangiocarcinoma Octogenarian Hepatectomy Complication Long-term survival
- 1.Poon RT, Fan ST, Lo CM, Liu CL, Lam CM, Yuen WK et al. Improving perioperative outcome expands the role of hepatectomy in management of benign and malignant hepatobiliary diseases: analysis of 1222 consecutive patients from a prospective database. Ann Surg. 2004;240:698–708 (discussion 10).Google Scholar
- 2.Jarnagin WR, Gonen M, Fong Y, DeMatteo RP, Ben-Porat L, Little S et al. Improvement in perioperative outcome after hepatic resection: analysis of 1,803 consecutive cases over the past decade. Ann Surg. 2002;236:397–406 (discussion 7).Google Scholar
- 5.Fong Y, Blumgart LH, Fortner JG, Brennan MF. Pancreatic or liver resection for malignancy is safe and effective for the elderly. Ann Surg. 1995;222:426–34 (discussion 34–7).Google Scholar
- 17.Nimura Y, Hayakawa N, Kamiya J, Kondo S, Shionoya S. Hepatic segmentectomy with caudate lobe resection for bile duct carcinoma of the hepatic hilus. World J Surg. 1990;14:535–43 (discussion 44).Google Scholar
- 22.Neuhaus P, Jonas S, Bechstein WO, Lohmann R, Radke C, Kling N et al. Extended resections for hilar cholangiocarcinoma. Ann Surg. 1999;230:808–18 (discussion 19).Google Scholar
- 25.Hemming AW, Kim RD, Mekeel KL, Fujita S, Reed AI, Foley DP et al. Portal vein resection for hilar cholangiocarcinoma. Am Surg. 2006;72:599–604 (discussion 5).Google Scholar
- 30.Ebata T, Yokoyama Y, Igami T, Sugawara G, Takahashi Y, Nimura Y, et al. Hepatopancreatoduodenectomy for cholangiocarcinoma: a single-center review of 85 consecutive patients. Ann Surg (in press).Google Scholar