Dyadic spatial resolution reduction transcoding for H.264/AVC
- 113 Downloads
In this paper, we examine spatial resolution downscaling transcoding for H.264/AVC video coding. A number of advanced coding tools limit the applicability of techniques, which were developed for previous video coding standards. We present a spatial resolution reduction transcoding architecture for H.264/AVC, which extends open-loop transcoding with a low-complexity compensation technique in the reduced-resolution domain. The proposed architecture tackles the problems in H.264/AVC and avoids visual artifacts in the transcoded sequence, while keeping complexity significantly lower than more traditional cascaded decoder–encoder architectures. The refinement step of the proposed architecture can be used to further improve rate-distortion performance, at the cost of additional complexity. In this way, a dynamic-complexity transcoder is rendered possible. We present a thorough investigation of the problems related to motion and residual data mapping, leading to a transcoding solution resulting in fully compliant reduced-size H.264/AVC bitstreams.
KeywordsVideo adaptation Transcoding Spatial resolution reduction H.264/AVC
The research activities that have been described in this paper were funded by Ghent University, the Interdisciplinary Institute for Broadband Technology (IBBT), the Institute for the Promotion of Innovation by Science and Technology in Flanders (IWT-Flanders), the Fund for Scientific Research-Flanders (FWO-Flanders), and the European Union.
- 1.Chen, C., Wu, P.-H., Chen, H.: Transform-domain intra prediction for H.264. In: Proceedings of the 2005 IEEE International Symposium on Circuits and Systems, Kobe, Japan, May 2005Google Scholar
- 2.De Cock, J., Notebaert, S., Van de Walle, R.: A novel hybrid requantization transcoding scheme for H.264/AVC. In: Proceedings of International Symposium Signal Processing and Application (ISSPA), February 2007Google Scholar
- 3.De Cock, J., Notebaert, S., Vermeirsch, K., Lambert, P., Van de Walle, R.: Efficient spatial resolution reduction transcoding for H.264/AVC. In: Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Image Processing (ICIP), October 2008Google Scholar
- 6.Patil, V., Kumar, R.: A fast arbitrary factor H.264/AVC video re-sizing algorithm. In Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Image Processing (ICIP), September 2007Google Scholar
- 9.Shen, H., Sun, X., Wu, F., Li, H., Li, S.: A fast downsizing video transcoder for H.264/AVC with rate-distortion optimal mode decision. In: Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Multimedia and Expo (ICME), pp 2017–2020, July 2006Google Scholar
- 10.Sun, S., Reichel, J.: AHG report on Spatial Scalability Resampling. Joint Video Team, Doc. JVT-R006, Bangkok, Thailand, January 2006Google Scholar
- 12.Vetro, A., Christopoulos, C., Sun, H.: Video transcoding architectures and techniques: an overview. IEEE Signal Process. Mag. 20(2):18–29 (2003)Google Scholar
- 14.Vetro, A., Sun, H.: Frequency domain down-conversion of HDTV using an optimal motion compensation scheme. Int. J Imaging Syst. Technol. 9(4):274–282 (1998)Google Scholar
- 15.Wiegand, T., Girod, B.: Lagrange multiplier selection in hybrid video coder control. In: Proceedings of IEEE International Conferece on Image Process (ICIP), September 2001Google Scholar
- 18.Zhang, P., Lu, Y., Huang, Q., Gao, W.: Mode mapping method for H.264/AVC spatial downscaling transcoding. In: Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Image Processing (ICIP), October 2004Google Scholar