The metric geometry of the manifold of Riemannian metrics over a closed manifold
- 204 Downloads
We prove that the L 2 Riemannian metric on the manifold of all smooth Riemannian metrics on a fixed closed, finite-dimensional manifold induces a metric space structure. As the L 2 metric is a weak Riemannian metric, this fact does not follow from general results. In addition, we prove several results on the exponential mapping and distance function of a weak Riemannian metric on a Hilbert/Fréchet manifold. The statements are analogous to, but weaker than, what is known in the case of a Riemannian metric on a finite-dimensional manifold or a strong Riemannian metric on a Hilbert manifold.
Mathematics Subject Classification (2000)58D17 (Primary) 58B20 (Secondary)
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Clarke, B.: The completion of the manifold of Riemannian metrics. preprint. arXiv:0904.0177v1Google Scholar
- 2.Clarke, B.: The completion of the manifold of Riemannian metrics with respect to its L 2 metric. Ph.D. thesis, University of Leipzig. arXiv:0904.0159v1 (2009)Google Scholar
- 5.Ebin, D.G.: The manifold of Riemannian metrics, Global analysis. In: Chern, S.-S., Smale, S. (eds.) Proceedings of Symposia in Pure Mathematics, vol. 15, pp. 11–40. American Mathematical Society, Providence (1970)Google Scholar
- 7.Gil-Medrano, O., Michor, P.W.: The Riemannian manifold of all Riemannian metrics. Q. J. Math. Oxf. Ser. (2) 42(166), 183–202. arXiv:math/9201259 (1991)Google Scholar
- 9.Klingenberg, W.P.A.: Riemannian geometry. De Gruyter Studies in Mathematics, 2nd edn, vol. 1. Walter de Gruyter and Co., Berlin (1995)Google Scholar
- 10.Lang S.: Differential and Riemannian Manifolds. Graduate Texts in Mathematics, 3rd edn., vol. 160. Springer-Verlag, New York (1995)Google Scholar
- 13.Schaefer H.H.: Topological Vector Spaces. Graduate Texts in Mathematics, 2nd ed., vol. 3. Springer, New York (1999)Google Scholar