Plant disease leaf image segmentation based on superpixel clustering and EM algorithm
- 233 Downloads
Plant disease leaf image segmentation plays an important role in the plant disease detection through leaf symptoms. A novel segmentation method of plant disease leaf image is proposed based on a hybrid clustering. The whole color leaf image is firstly divided into a number of compact and nearly uniform superpixels by superpixel clustering, which can provide useful clustering cues to guide image segmentation to accelerate the convergence speed of the expectation maximization (EM) algorithm, and then, the lesion pixels are quickly and accurately segmented from each superpixel by EM algorithm. The experimental results and the comparison results with similar approaches demonstrate that the proposed method is effective and has high practical value for plant disease detection.
KeywordsPlant disease leaf image segmentation Plant disease detection Superpixel clustering EM algorithm
This work was partially supported by China National Natural Science Foundation under Grant No. 61473237. It was also supported by the Shaanxi Natural Science Foundation Research Project under Grant No. 2016GY-141. The authors would like to thank all the editors and anonymous reviewers for their constructive advices.
SWZ conceived the algorithm, carried out analyses, prepared the data sets, carried out experiments and wrote the manuscript; ZHY and XWW designed, performed and analyzed experiments and wrote the manuscript; all authors read and approved the final manuscript.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflicts of interest
The authors declare no conflicts of interest.
- 1.Revathy R, Chennakesavan SA (2015) Threshold based approach for disease spot detection on plant leaf. Trans Eng Sci 3(5):72–75Google Scholar
- 2.Li Guanlin M, Zhanhong HC et al (2010) Segmentation of color images of grape disease using K_means clustering algorithm. Trans CSAE 26(2):32–37Google Scholar
- 3.Yuan Y, Li M, Liang Q et al (2011) Segmentation method for crop disease leaf images with complex background. Trans CSAE 27(2):208–212Google Scholar
- 4.Arivazhagan S, Newlin Shebiah R, Ananthi S et al (2013) Detection of unhealthy region of plant leaves and classification of plant leaf diseases using texture features. Agric Eng Int: CIGR J 15(1):211–217Google Scholar
- 6.Al-Hiary H, Bani-Ahmad S, Reyalat M et al (2011) Fast and accurate detection and classification of plant diseases. Int J Comput Appl (0975–8887) 17(1):31–38Google Scholar
- 7.Yugang R, Jian Z, Miao L et al (2012) Segmentation method for crop disease leaf images based on watershed algorithm. J Comput Appl 32(3):752–755Google Scholar
- 8.Kaur R, Kang SS (2015) An enhancement in classifier support vector machine to improve plant disease detection. In: IEEE 3rd international conference on innovation and technology in education (MITE), 135–140Google Scholar
- 9.Chaudhary P, Chaudhari AK, Cheeran AN et al (2012) Color transform based approach for disease spot detection on plant leaf. Int J Comput Sci Telecommun 3(6):65–70Google Scholar
- 10.Hanping M, Yan cheng Z, Bo H (2008) Segmentation of crop disease leaf images using fuzzy C-means clustering algorithm. Trans CSAE 24(9):136–140Google Scholar
- 11.Menukaewjinda A, Kumsawat P, Attakitmongcol K (2008) Grape leaf disease detection from color imagery using hybrid intelligent system. In Proceeding of ECT1-CON 14(17) (pp. 513–516). KrabiGoogle Scholar
- 12.Qin F, Liu D, Sun B et al (2016) Identification of alfalfa leaf diseases using image recognition technology. PLoS ONE 11(12):1–26Google Scholar
- 13.Baig Mohammad Md, Naga Srujana R, Jaya Naga Jyothi A et al (2016) Disease identification in plants using k-means clustering and gray scale matrices with svm classifier. Int J Appl Sci, Eng Manage 5(2):84–88Google Scholar
- 17.Che X, Zhang F, Zhang R (2017) Medical image segmentation based on SLIC superpixels model. International Conference on Innovative Optical Health Science. 1024502Google Scholar
- 18.Zhaoxia Fu, Wang Liming (2012) Color image segmentation using mixture Gaussian model and EM Algorithm. Commun Comput Inf Sci 346:61–66Google Scholar