Optimization of friction stir welding process using NSGA-II and DEMO
- 253 Downloads
In welding processes, the selection of optimal process parameter settings is very important to achieve best weld qualities. In this work, neuro-multi-objective evolutionary algorithms (EAs) are proposed to optimize the process parameters in friction stir welding process. Artificial neural network (ANN) models are developed for the simulation of the correlation between process parameters and mechanical properties of the weld using back-propagation algorithm. The weld qualities of the weld joint, such as ultimate tensile strength, yield stress, elongation, bending angle and hardness of the nugget zone, are considered. In order to optimize those quality characteristics, two multi-objective EAs that are non-dominated sorting genetic algorithm II and differential evolution for multi-objective are coupled with the developed ANN models. In the end, multi-criteria decision-making method which is technique for order preference by similarity to the ideal solution is applied on the Pareto front to extract the best solutions. Comparisons are conducted between results obtained from the proposed techniques, and confirmation experiments are performed to verify the simulated results.
KeywordsFriction stir welding Artificial neural network NSGA-II DEMO TOPSIS
The authors gratefully acknowledge the financial support provided by SERB (Science and Engineering Research Board), India (Grant no. SERB/F/2767/2012-13), to carry out this research work.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that there is no conflict of interests regarding the publication of this paper.
- 1.Thomas W, Nicholas E, Needham J, Murch M, Templesmith P, Dawes C (1991) Friction stir welding. UK Patent international patent application no. PCT/GB92102203 and Great Britain Patent application no. 9125978.8., 1991Google Scholar
- 3.Mishra R, Mahoney M (2007) Friction stir welding and processing. ASM International, OhioGoogle Scholar
- 11.Akbari M, Asadi P, Besharati-Givi MK, Khodabandehlouie G (2014) Artificial neural network and optimization. In: Besharati-Givi MK, Asadi P (eds) Advances in friction-stir welding and processing. Woodhead Publishing, pp 543–599. doi: 10.1533/9780857094551.543
- 15.Coello C, Lechuga M (2002) MOPSO: a proposal for multiple-objective particle swarm optimization. In: 2002 IEEE congress on evolutionary computation (CEC)Google Scholar
- 16.Robič T, Filipič B, (2005) DEMO: differential evolution for multiobjective optimization. In: 2005 the 3rd International conference on evolutionary multi-criterion optimizationGoogle Scholar
- 18.Tutum C, Hattel J (2010) A multi-objective optimization application in friction stir welding: considering thermo-mechanical aspects. In: 2010 IEEE congress on evolutionary computation (CEC)Google Scholar