Image denoising algorithm based on the convolution of fractional Tsallis entropy with the Riesz fractional derivative
- 498 Downloads
Image denoising is an important component of image processing. The interest in the use of Riesz fractional order derivative has been rapidly growing for image processing recently. This paper mainly introduces the concept of fractional calculus and proposes a new mathematical model in using the convolution of fractional Tsallis entropy with the Riesz fractional derivative for image denoising. The structures of n × n fractional mask windows in the x and y directions of this algorithm are constructed. The image denoising performance is assessed using the visual perception, and the objective image quality metrics, such as peak signal-to-noise ratio (PSNR), and structural similarity index (SSIM). The proposed algorithm achieved average PSNR of 28.92 dB and SSIM of 0.8041. The experimental results prove that the improvements achieved are compatible with other standard image smoothing filters (Gaussian, Kuan, and Homomorphic Wiener).
KeywordsFractional calculus Fractional mask Fractional Tsallis entropy Riesz fractional derivative
This research is funded by the Ministry of Higher Education Malaysia under the Fundamental Research Grant Scheme (FRGS), Project No.: FP073-2015A.
All authors jointly worked on deriving the results and approved the final manuscript.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that there are no conflict of interests regarding the publication of this article.
- 1.Tseng C-C, Lee S-L (2014) Digital image sharpening using Riesz fractional order derivative and discrete Hartley transform. In: 2014 IEEE Asia Pacific conference on circuits and systems (APCCAS). IEEEGoogle Scholar
- 2.Ibrahim RW, Jalab HA (2013) Time-space fractional heat equation in the unit disk. In: Trujillo JJ (ed) Abstract and applied analysis. Hindawi Publishing Corporation, New York, USAGoogle Scholar
- 4.Jalab HA, Ibrahim RW (2014) Fractional conway polynomials for image denoising with regularized fractional power parameters. J Math Imaging Vis 51(3):1–9Google Scholar
- 5.Jalab H, Ibrahim R (2016) Image denoising algorithms based on fractional sinc α with the covariance of fractional Gaussian fields. Imaging Sci J 64:100–108Google Scholar
- 7.Podlubny I (1999) Fractional differential equations. Acadamic Press, London, p E2Google Scholar
- 11.Ortigueira MD (2006) Riesz potential operators and inverses via fractional centred derivatives. Int J Math Math Sci 2006:1–12Google Scholar
- 15.Gonzales RC, Woods RE, Eddins SL (2004) Digital image processing using MATLAB. Pearson Prentice Hall, Englewood CliffsGoogle Scholar
- 17.Zhang Y-S et al (2014) Fractional domain varying-order differential denoising method. Opt Eng 53(10):102102-1–102102-7Google Scholar
- 18.Hu J, Pu Y, Zhou J (2011) A novel image denoising algorithm based on riemann-liouville definition. J Comput 6(7):1332–1338Google Scholar
- 19.Jalab HA, Ibrahim RW (2012) Denoising algorithm based on generalized fractional integral operator with two parameters. Discrete Dyn Nat Soc 2012:1–14Google Scholar