A low-cost decision-aided channel estimation method for Alamouti OSTBC
- 169 Downloads
In wireless communication systems, channel state information (CSI) acquisition is typically performed at the receiver side every time a new frame is received, without taking into account whether it is really necessary or not. Considering the special case of the 2 × 1 Alamouti orthogonal space-time block code, this work proposes to reduce computational complexity associated with the CSI acquisition by including a decision rule to automatically determine the time instants when CSI must be again updated. Otherwise, a previous channel estimate is reused. The decision criterion has a very low computational complexity since it consists in computing the cross-correlation between preambles sent by the two transmit antennas. This allows us to obtain a considerable reduction on the complexity demanded by both supervised and unsupervised (blind) channel estimation algorithms. Such preambles do not penalize the spectral efficiency in the sense they are mandatory for frame detection as well as for time and frequency synchronization in current wireless communication systems.
KeywordsCSI acquisition Alamouti code Supervised and unsupervised estimation Hybrid adaptive algorithms Batch learning
This work has been funded by Xunta de Galicia, Ministerio de Ciencia e Innovación of Spain, and FEDER funds of the European Union under grants with numbers 10TIC105003PR, 10TIC003CT, 09TIC008105PR, TEC2010-19545-C04-01, and CSD2008-00010.
- 3.Beres E, Adve R (2004) Blind channel estimation for orthogonal STBC in MISO systems. In: Proceedings of global telecommunications conference (GLOBECOM 2004), vol 4. pp 2323–2328Google Scholar
- 4.Cardoso JF, Souloumiac A (1993) non-Gaussian signals. IEEE Proc -F 140(6):362–370Google Scholar
- 5.Comon P, Jutten C (2010) Handbook of blind source separation, independent component analysis and applications. Academic Press, WalthamGoogle Scholar
- 6.Dapena A, Pérez-Iglesias H, Zarzoso V (2010) Blind channel estimation based on maximizing the eigenvalue spread of cumulant matrices in (2 × 1) Alamouti’s coding schemes. Wirel Commun Mob Comput. doi: 10.1002/wcm.992. (Article published online : 5 OCT 2010)
- 9.Stone JV (2004) Independent component analysis: a tutorial introduction. MIT Press, WalthamGoogle Scholar
- 11.Vía J, Santamaría I, Pérez J, Ramírez D (2006) Blind decoding of MISO-OSTBC systems based on principal component analysis. In: International conference on acoustic, speech and signal processing, vol IV. pp 545–549Google Scholar