Multi-ring local binary patterns for rotation invariant texture classification
- 430 Downloads
The local binary pattern (LBP) approach has been widely used in texture description. In this paper, we build a new framework to extract the binary patterns and propose a robust texture descriptor: multi-ring local binary pattern (MrLBP). The MrLBP algorithm creates patterns from several ringed areas and mainly contains two parts. One is the extra-ring local binary pattern operator that gets patterns from the mean values of different ringed areas. The other is the intra-ring local binary pattern operator that obtains patterns by counting the majority of binary values in every single ringed area. Moreover, the binary formation of each part of the MrLBP is obtained from two different aspects. The MrLBP method not only considers the binary relationship among pixels in a local region, but also focuses on the relationship between pixels in a local region and the whole image. This is a little different from the conventional LBP methods that only get the binary formation from the local gray scales differences. The experimental results on two public databases have validated the effectiveness of the proposed method.
KeywordsLocal binary pattern (LBP) Texture classification Feature extraction Multi-ring local binary pattern (MrLBP) Rotation invariant
The authors would like to thank MVG and VGG for sharing the LBP code and the VZ_MR8 code, respectively. The authors also thank Zhenhua Guo, Lei Zhang and David Zhang for sharing the source code of LBPVu2GMES. This work was supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (No. 60736010) and the Chinese National 863 Grand (No. 2009AA12Z109).
- 6.Haralick RM, Shanmugam K, Dinstein I (1973) Textural features for image classification. IEEE Trans Syst Man Cybern 3(6):610–621Google Scholar
- 16.Schmid C (2001) Constructing models for content-based image retrieval. In: Proceedings of conference on computer vision and pattern recognition. Montbonnot, France, pp 39–45Google Scholar
- 17.Varma M, Zisserman A (2005) A statistical approach to texture classification from single images. Int J Comput Vis 62(1):61–81Google Scholar
- 25.Mäenpää T, Ojala T, Pietikäinen M, Soriano M (2000) Robust texture classification by subsets of local binary patterns. In: Proceedings of International conference on pattern recognition. Barcelona, Spain, pp 947–950Google Scholar
- 29.Ahonen T, Matas J, He C, Pietikäinen M (2009) Rotation invariant image description with local binary pattern histogram Fourier features. In: Proceedings of 16th Scandinavian conference on image analysis. Oslo, Norway, pp 61–70Google Scholar
- 31.Shu L, Chung A (2009) Face recognition with salient local gradient orientation binary patterns. In: Proceeding of International conference on image processing. Cairo, Egypt, pp 3317–3320Google Scholar
- 32.Guo Z, Li Q, You J, Zhang D, Liu W (2011) Local directional derivative pattern for rotation invariant texture classification. Neural Comput Appl (in press). doi: 10.1007/s00521-011-0586-6
- 35.Caputo B, Hayman E, Mallikarjuna P (2005) Class-specific material categorisation. In: Proceedings of the 10th IEEE International conference on computer vision. Beijing, China, pp 1597–1604Google Scholar