Prognostic accuracy of the sequential organ failure assessment (SOFA) and quick SOFA for mortality in cancer patients with sepsis defined by systemic inflammatory response syndrome (SIRS)
- 140 Downloads
We aimed to assess the prognostic accuracy of SOFA and qSOFA scores in cancer patients with sepsis, and also to determine if the addition of hyperlactatemia to qSOFA increases the accuracy in predicting the 30-day mortality.
Material and method
We consecutively included adult active cancer patients (age ≥ 18 years) with sepsis defined by SIRS who visited the emergency department (ED) from May 1st to July 30th, 2017. Data were collected retrospectively through reviewing medical records. The SOFA and qSOFA scores were calculated with the initial variables at the time of ED admission. The primary endpoint was 30-day mortality.
Of 1137 screened, 301 were included. The 30-day mortality was 14.3% (43 patients). Among the total 301, the SOFA score was ≥ 2 in 168 and qSOFA ≥ 2 in 23. For those with SOFA ≥ 2 and < 2, the mortality was 23.2% and 3%, respectively (P < 0.001). For those with qSOFA ≥ 2 and < 2, the mortality was 47.8% and 11.5%, respectively (P < 0.001). The AUROC of 30-day mortality for qSOFA was lower than that for SOFA (0.66 (95% CI, 0.56–0.75) vs. 0.79 (95% CI, 0.72–0.87), P = 0.004)). However, the combination of qSOFA with lactate ≥ 2 threshold considerably enhanced a discrimination capacity for mortality with an AUROC 0.77 (95% CI, 0.69–0.85), which was similar to SOFA (P = 0.11).
In cancer patients with sepsis, qSOFA was inferior to SOFA in predicting mortality. However, adding lactate to qSOFA resulted in greater prognostic accuracy for short-term mortality, comparable with SOFA.
KeywordsCancer Sepsis Mortality
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 2.Zhou J, Qian C, Zhao M, Yu X, Kang Y, Ma X, Ai Y, Xu Y, Liu D, An Y, Wu D, Sun R, Li S, Hu Z, Cao X, Zhou F, Jiang L, Lin J, Mao E, Qin T, He Z, Zhou L, du B, for the China Critical Care Clinical Trials Group (CCCCTG) (2014) Epidemiology and outcome of severe sepsis and septic shock in intensive care units in mainland China. PLoS One 9:e107181. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0107181 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 4.Bone RC, Balk RA, Cerra FB, Dellinger RP, Fein AM, Knaus WA, Schein RMH, Sibbald WJ (1992) Definitions for sepsis and organ failure and guidelines for the use of innovative therapies in sepsis. The ACCP/SCCM consensus conference committee. American College of Chest Physicians/Society of Critical Care Medicine. Chest 101:1644–1655CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 5.Levy MM, Fink MP, Marshall JC, Abraham E, Angus D, Cook D, Cohen J, Opal SM, Vincent JL, Ramsay G, SCCM/ESICM/ACCP/ATS/SIS (2003) 2001 SCCM/ESICM/ACCP/ATS/SIS international sepsis definitions conference. Crit Care Med 31:1250–1256. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.CCM.0000050454.01978.3B CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 6.Seymour CW, Liu VX, Iwashyna TJ, Brunkhorst FM, Rea TD, Scherag A, Rubenfeld G, Kahn JM, Shankar-Hari M, Singer M, Deutschman CS, Escobar GJ, Angus DC (2016) Assessment of clinical criteria for sepsis: for the third international consensus definitions for sepsis and septic shock (sepsis-3). JAMA 315:762–774. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2016.0288 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 7.Singer M, Deutschman CS, Seymour CW, Shankar-Hari M, Annane D, Bauer M, Bellomo R, Bernard GR, Chiche JD, Coopersmith CM, Hotchkiss RS, Levy MM, Marshall JC, Martin GS, Opal SM, Rubenfeld GD, van der Poll T, Vincent JL, Angus DC (2016) The third international consensus definitions for sepsis and septic shock (sepsis-3). JAMA 315:801–810. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2016.0287 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 9.Raith EP, Udy AA, Bailey M, McGloughlin S, MacIsaac C, Bellomo R, Pilcher DV, for the Australian and New Zealand Intensive Care Society (ANZICS) Centre for Outcomes and Resource Evaluation (CORE) (2017) Prognostic accuracy of the SOFA score, SIRS criteria, and qSOFA score for in-hospital mortality among adults with suspected infection admitted to the intensive care unit. JAMA 317:290–300. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2016.20328 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 10.Vincent JL, Moreno R, Takala J et al (1996) The SOFA (Sepsis-related organ failure assessment) score to describe organ dysfunction/failure. On behalf of the working group on sepsis-related problems of the European Society of Intensive Care Medicine. Intensive Care Med 22:707–710CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 11.Casserly B, Phillips GS, Schorr C, Dellinger RP, Townsend SR, Osborn TM, Reinhart K, Selvakumar N, Levy MM (2015) Lactate measurements in sepsis-induced tissue hypoperfusion: results from the surviving Sepsis campaign database. Crit Care Med 43:567–573. https://doi.org/10.1097/CCM.0000000000000742 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 12.Chee CE, Ashrani AA, Marks RS, Petterson TM, Bailey KR, Melton LJ, Heit JA (2014) Predictors of venous thromboembolism recurrence and bleeding among active cancer patients: a population-based cohort study. Blood 123:3972–3978. https://doi.org/10.1182/blood-2014-01-549733 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 13.Freund Y, Lemachatti N, Krastinova E, van Laer M, Claessens YE, Avondo A, Occelli C, Feral-Pierssens AL, Truchot J, Ortega M, Carneiro B, Pernet J, Claret PG, Dami F, Bloom B, Riou B, Beaune S, for the French Society of Emergency Medicine Collaborators Group (2017) Prognostic accuracy of sepsis-3 criteria for in-hospital mortality among patients with suspected infection presenting to the emergency department. JAMA 317:301–308. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2016.20329 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 17.Piano S, Bartoletti M, Tonon M, Baldassarre M, Chies G, Romano A, Viale P, Vettore E, Domenicali M, Stanco M, Pilutti C, Frigo AC, Brocca A, Bernardi M, Caraceni P, Angeli P (2018) Assessment of sepsis-3 criteria and quick SOFA in patients with cirrhosis and bacterial infections. Gut 67:1892–1899. https://doi.org/10.1136/gutjnl-2017-314324 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 19.Fang WF, Chen YM, Lin CY, Huang KT, Kao HC, Fang YT, Huang CH, Chang YT, Wang YH, Wang CC, Lin MC (2017) Immune profiles and clinical outcomes between sepsis patients with or without active cancer requiring admission to intensive care units. PLoS One 12:e0179749. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0179749 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 20.Shankar-Hari M, Phillips GS, Levy ML, Seymour CW, Liu VX, Deutschman CS, Angus DC, Rubenfeld GD, Singer M, for the Sepsis Definitions Task Force (2016) Developing a new definition and assessing new clinical criteria for septic shock: for the third international consensus definitions for sepsis and septic shock (sepsis-3). JAMA 315:775–787. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2016.0289 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar