Acupuncture for treating hot flushes in men with prostate cancer: a systematic review
Goals of work
The goal of the study was to assess the effects of acupuncture as a treatment for hot flushes in prostate cancer (PC) patients.
Materials and methods
The literature was searched using 14 databases with dates ranging from their inceptions to December 2008 and without language restrictions. All clinical studies of any type of acupuncture in PC patients were included. Their main outcome measures had to be vasomotor symptoms. Their methodological quality was assessed using the modified Jadad score.
Six studies met all the inclusion criteria. One randomised clinical trial compared the effects of manual acupuncture with acupuncture plus electro-acupuncture. The other five studies were uncontrolled observational studies and therefore had limitations.
The evidence is not convincing to suggest acupuncture is an effective treatment for hot flush in patients with PC. Further research is required to investigate whether acupuncture has hot-flush-specific effects.
KeywordsAcupuncture Hot flushes Prostate cancer Systematic review
M. S. Lee, K. H. Kim, and S. M. Choi were supported by the Korea Institute of Oriental Medicine (K08010).
- 2.Arai YC, Ushida T, Osuga T, Matsubara T, Oshima K, Kawaguchi K, Kuwabara C, Nakao S, Hara A, Furuta C, Aida E, Ra S, Takagi Y, Watakabe K (2008) The effect of acupressure at the extra 1 point on subjective and autonomic responses to needle insertion. Anesth Analg 107:661–664PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 3.Ashamalla H, Jiang M, Guirguis A (2008) Phase I study of acupuncture as treatment of hot flashes for men with prostate cancer. J Clin Oncol 26:20678 Meeting AbstractsGoogle Scholar
- 9.Egger M, Smith GD, Altman D (2001) Systematic reviews in Healthcare: meta-analysis in context. BMJ, LondonGoogle Scholar
- 16.Hayes M, Katovic NM, Donovan D, Emmons S, Benavides M, Montalto M, Ryan CW, Liu G, Beer TM (2005) Acupuncture for hot flashes in prostate cancer patients. J Clin Oncol 23:8160 Meeting AbstractsGoogle Scholar
- 17.Hervik J, Mjåland O (2008) Acupuncture for the treatment of hot flashes in breast cancer patients, a randomized, controlled trial. Breast Cancer Res Treat. doi: 10.1007/s10549-008-0210-3
- 21.Michaelson MD, Smith MR, Talcott JA (2003) Prostate cancer (metastatic). BMJ Clin Evid 12:1804Google Scholar