‘Laying on of hands’: magic or medicine?
In this issue, Pohl et al.  report the results of a study which suggests that cancer patients’ well-being improves through the ‘laying on of hands’. Magic (faith, paranormal, or spiritual) healers who claim that the ‘laying on of hands’ generates positive health effects believe that they are mere instruments who channel (cosmic or divine) ‘energy’ into patients’ bodies which, in turn, activates or enhances the body’s own capacity for healing. Some healers claim to achieve very specific effects (i.e. cure of a disease) others, like the healer employed by Pohl et al. , say they can generate positive non-specific effects.
Spiritual healing, the term I think is neutral and therefore best suited for this type of approach, has a long history. In the Bible, both God and holy people are reported to heal, and in medieval times kings were believed to heal through touch . Survey data show that today spiritual healing is in the US amongst the fastest growing complementary/alternative...
- 1.Pohl G, Seemann H, Zojer N, Ochsner C, Luhan C, Schemper M et al (2006) “Laying-on of hands” improves well-being in patients with advanced cancer. Support Care Cancer (in press)Google Scholar
- 2.American Cancer Society (2000) Guide to complementary and alternative cancer methods. American Cancer Society, Atlanta, Georgia, USGoogle Scholar
- 9.Benson H, Dusek JA, Sherwood JB, Lam P, Bethea CF, Carpenter W et al (2006) Study of the Therapeutic Effects of Intercessory Prayer (STEP) in cardiac bypass patients: a multicenter randomized trial of uncertainty and certainty of receiving intercessory prayer. Am Heart J 151:934–942PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 11.Bronson P (2002) A prayer before dying. Wired Magazine, DecemberGoogle Scholar
- 13.Solfvin J, Leskowitz E, Benor DJ (2006) Questions concerning the scientific credibility of wound healing studies authored by Daniel P. Wirth. Online document, http://www.wholistichealingresearch.com/WirthQ.asp. Accessed 8th February 2006
- 15.Carey B (2004) Can prayer heal? New York Times, December 10thGoogle Scholar
- 16.Jaroff L (2004) More questions on healing prayer. Time, December 10thGoogle Scholar
- 18.Randi J (2006) We repeat. http://www.randi.org/jr/2006-01/010606netherlands.html. Accessed 04/04/06. James Randi’s Swift