Clinical–Pathological Conference Series from the Medical University of Graz
Case No. 151: 19-year-old student from Albania with emergency admission due to shock
- 106 Downloads
Presentation of case
Dr. S. Horn
On the day of admission, the previously healthy 19-year-old student from Albania felt sick and vomited three times. She experienced a hot flash, flickering in the visual field, and a macular rash on her abdomen, followed by loss of consciousness. The emergency physician gave her a Glasgow Coma Score (GCS) of 3. On route to the hospital, she became hypotensive. When the electrocardiography showed tachycardic supraventricular arrhythmia and fibrillation, cardioversion was performed. She was then hemodynamically stable on admission to the intensive care unit but subsequently developed fever and laboratory evidence of inflammation. Intravenous antibiotic therapy (ampicillin and sulbactam) was begun. A drug screen of her urine was positive for methamphetamine, but she later denied any drug abuse and could not imagine how she could have tested positive for the drug. Selected laboratory results: day of admission: leukocytes 17.8 G/l (normal 4.4 -11.3); 70 %...
KeywordsHydatid cyst rupture Echinococcus granulosus anaphylactic shock
The authors express their sincere gratitude to Eugenia Lamont for language editing of the manuscript.
Conflict of interest
All authors declare that there is no conflict of interest.
- 4.Eckert J, Schantz P, Gasser R, et al. Geographic distribution and prevalence. In: Eckert J, Gemmell MA, Meslin F-X, Pawlowski ZS, editors. WHOI/OIE manual on echinococcosis in humans and animals: a public health problem of global concern. Paris: World Organisation for Animal Health; 2001. pp. 100–41.Google Scholar
- 17.Report of the Austrian Ministry of Health. http://bmg.gv.at/home/Schwerpunkte/Krankheiten/Uebertragbare_Krankheiten/Statistiken/Jahresstatistiken_meldepflichtiger_Infektionskrankheiten_seit_dem_Jahr_2000. Accessed 15 March 2014.
- 19.Report on Zoonosis in Austria, AGES 2011. http://www.ages.at/uploads/media/Zoonosenbericht-2011_ebook_03.pdf. Accessed 15 March 2014.
- 20.Center for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.dpd.cdc.gov/dpdx/echinococcosis/index.html.. Accessed 19 March 2014
- 28.Bristow BN, Lee S, Shafir S, Sorvillo F. Human echinococcosis mortality in the United States, 1990–2007. PloS Negl Trop Dis. 2012:6(2):e1524.Google Scholar
- 29.Islam S, Schucany WG, Hurst DC, Lepe-Suastegui MR. Echinococcus granulosus infection presenting as right upper-quadrant abdominal pain. Proc (Bayl Univ Med Cent). 2012;25:80–82.Google Scholar
© Springer-Verlag Wien 2014