Comparative study of linear and non-linear integrated control schemes applied to a Buck converter for mobile applications
- 162 Downloads
Energy-efficient conversion of DC voltages is gaining more and more importance in low-power applications, especially in mobile and wireless systems. Several control techniques can be applied to achieve output regulation of a Buck DC-DC converter. In this paper a linear PID (proportional-integral-derivative) control loop, both in analog and digital domain, is derived and its performance is compared to a non-linear regulation loop based on the sliding-mode theory. A goal of this paper is to point out potential advantages and drawbacks of the different solutions. This exploration forms the starting point for the implementation of the most promising concepts in a 65 nm CMOS technology.
KeywordsSlide Mode Control Slide Mode Controller Buck Converter Slide Mode Controller Design Controller Transfer Function
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Beccuti, A. G., Papafotiou, G., Morari, M. (2006): Optimal control of the buck dc–dc converter operating in both the continuous and discontinuous conduction regimes. In Decision and Control, 2006 45th IEEE Conference, 6205–6210Google Scholar
- Erickson, R. W., Maksimovic, D. (2004): Fundamentals of Power Electronics, 2nd edGoogle Scholar
- Foellinger, O. (1998): Nichtlineare Regelungen, vol. 1. 8 edGoogle Scholar
- Horn, M., Dourdoumas, N. (2004): Regelungstechnik. Number 1Google Scholar
- Lin, H. C., Chang, T. Y. (2007): Analysis and design of a sliding mode controller for buck converters operating in dcm with adaptive hysteresis band control scheme. In: 7th International Conference on Power Electronics and Drive Systems, PEDS '07, 372–377Google Scholar
- Linear Technologies. LTC3404 Step-Down Regulator Datasheet. http://cds.linear.com/docs/Datasheet/3404fb.pdf
- Mattavelli, P., Rossetto, L., Spiazzi, G., Tenti, P. (1993): General-purpose sliding-mode controller for dc/dc converter applications. In: Power Electronics Specialists Conference, PESC '93, 609–615Google Scholar
- Nicolas, B., Fadel, M., Cheron, Y. (1996): Fixed-frequency sliding mode control of a single-phase voltage source inverter with input filter. In: Proceedings of the IEEE International Symposium on Industrial Electronics, ISIE '96, 1: 470–475Google Scholar
- Prodic, A., Maksimovic, D., Erickson, R. (2001): Design and implementation of a digital pwm controller for a high-frequency switching dc–dc power converter. In: The 27th Annual Conference of the IEEE Industrial Electronics Society, 2001. IECON '01, 2: 893–898Google Scholar
- Venkataramanan, R. (1986) Sliding mode control of power converters. PhD thesis, California Institute of Technology, 1986Google Scholar