Multidisciplinary design optimization of an aircraft by using knowledge-based systems
- 8 Downloads
A new strategy for solving multidisciplinary design optimization problems is presented in this paper. The main idea of this approach is based on the use of designer experiences and attention to his/her preferences during design optimization which is implemented using a concept called the fuzzy preference function. Two important advantages of this approach are: (1) using the experiences of expert people during optimization and (2) transforming a constrained multiobjective design optimization problem into an unconstrained single-objective design optimization problem. The multidisciplinary design optimization of an unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) is considered to show the performance of the proposed methodology. The optimization problem in this case study is a constrained two-objective problem (minimization of takeoff weight and drag of the cruise phase), and the genetic algorithm (GA) is utilized as the optimizer. Performance, weight, aerodynamics, center of gravity, trim and dynamic stability are the considered modules in the multidisciplinary analysis that are modeled using empirical and semiempirical equations. The optimization results show that the proposed strategy has been able to offer an optimal design where has higher performance relative to other methods from the point of view of objective functions, low computational cost and simplicity of implementation.
KeywordMultidisciplinary design optimization Preference function Fuzzy logic Genetic algorithm UAV
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest. This work was carried out by me as part of my Ph.D. thesis in the Mechanical Engineering Department of Malek Ashtar University of technology.
This manuscript does not contain any studies with human participants or animals performed by any of the authors.
- Anderson J (1976) Aircraft performance and design. McGraw-Hill Companies, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Babaei AR, Setayandeh MR (2015) Constrained optimization of a commercial aircraft wing using non-dominated sorting genetic algorithm. Int J Adv Des Manuf Technol 8:51–61Google Scholar
- Cavus N (2009) Multidisciplinary and multi-objective design optimization of an unmanned combat aerial vehicle. Ph.D. Thesis, Middle East technical universityGoogle Scholar
- Henderson R (2009) Multidisciplinary design optimization of airframe and engine for emission reduction. Ms.C. Thesis, University of TorontoGoogle Scholar
- Roshanian J, Bataleblu AA, Farghadani MH, Ebrahimi B (2017) Metamodel-based multidisciplinary design optimization of a general aviation aircraft. In: 12th World congress on structural and multidisciplinary optimization 05-09, Braunschweig, GermanyGoogle Scholar
- Roskam J (1987) Airplane design: part six, 1st edn. Roskam Aviation and Engineering Corporation, LawrenceGoogle Scholar
- Roskam J (2001) Airplane flight dynamics and automatic flight controls. DAR Corporation, LawrenceGoogle Scholar
- Sadraey MH (2013) Aircraft design: a systems engineering approach, 1st edn. Wiley, New YorkGoogle Scholar