Machine intelligence-based algorithms for spam filtering on document labeling
- 12 Downloads
The internet has provided numerous modes for secure data transmission from one end station to another, and email is one of those. The reason behind its popular usage is its cost-effectiveness and facility for fast communication. In the meantime, many undesirable emails are generated in a bulk format for a monetary benefit called spam. Despite the fact that people have the ability to promptly recognize an email as spam, performing such task may waste time. To simplify the classification task of a computer in an automated way, a machine learning method is used. Due to limited availability of datasets for email spam, constrained data and the text written in an informal way are the most feasible issues that forced the current algorithms to fail to meet the expectations during classification. This paper proposed a novel, spam mail detection method based on the document labeling concept which classifies the new ones into ham or spam. Moreover, algorithms like Naive Bayes, Decision Tree and Random Forest (RF) are used in the classification process. Three datasets are used to evaluate how the proposed algorithm works. Experimental results illustrate that RF has higher accuracy when compared with other methods.
KeywordsMachine learning Spam detection Document labeling Feature selection
This study was not funded by any grant.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of Interest
The authors have declare that they have no conflict of interest.
Human animal rights
No animals were involved. This article does not contain any studies with human participants or animals performed by any of the authors.
Informed consent was obtained from all individual participants included in the study.
- Ahuja L (2018) Handling web spamming using logic approach. In: International conference on advances in computing and data sciences. Springer, Singapore, pp 380–387Google Scholar
- Attenberg J, Weinberger K, Dasgupta A, Smola A, Zinkevich M (2009) Collaborative email-spam filtering with the hashing trick. In: Proceedings of the sixth conference on email and anti-spamGoogle Scholar
- Bhat SY, Abulaish M, Mirza AA (2014) Spammer classification using ensemble methods over structural social network features. In: Proceedings of the 2014 IEEE/WIC/ACM international joint conferences on web intelligence (WI) and intelligent agent technologies (IAT), vol 02. IEEE Computer SocietyGoogle Scholar
- Christina V, Karpagavalli S, Suganya G (2010) A study on email spam filtering techniques. Int J Comput Appl 12(1):0975–8887Google Scholar
- DCC Spam Control Delayed Your E-Mail. http://umanitoba.ca/computing/ist/email/exchange/securityspamindex.html. Accessed 20 Dec 2018
- Gaurav D, Yadav JKPS, Kaliyar RK, Goyal A (2019) Detection of false positive situation in review mining. Soft Computing and signal processing. Springer, Singapore, pp 83–90Google Scholar
- http://nlp.cs.aueb.gr/software_and_datasets/Enron-Spam/index.html. Accessed 31 Jan 2019
- http://www.aueb.gr/users/ion/data/lingspam_public.tar.gz. Accessed 05 Feb 2019
- http://www.aueb.gr/users/ion/data/PU123ACorpora.tar.gz. Accessed 10 Feb 2019
- https://cacm.acm.org/magazines/2018/7/229047-youve-got-mail/fulltext?mobile=false. Accessed 20 Feb 2019
- Staiano A, Di Taranto MD, Bloise E, Agostino MND, D’Angelo A, Marotta G, Gentile M, Jossa F, Iannuzzi A, Rubba P, Fortunato G (2013) Investigation of single nucleotide polymorphisms associated to familial combined hyperlipidemia with random forests. In: Neural nets and surroundings. Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg, pp 169–178CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Kumar RK, Poonkuzhali G, Sudhakar P (2012) Comparative study on email spam classifier using data mining techniques. In: Proceedings of the international multi-conference of engineers and computer scientists, vol 1, Hong Kong, pp 14–16Google Scholar
- Liu TJ, Tsao WL, Lee CL (2010) A high performance image-spam filtering system. In: 2010 ninth international symposium on distributed computing and applications to business engineering and science (DCABES). IEEE, pp 445-449Google Scholar
- Merugu S, Reddy MCS, Goyal E, Piplani L (2019) Text message classification using supervised machine learning algorithms. In: Kumar A, Mozar S (eds) ICCCE 2018. ICCCE 2018. Lecture Notes in Electrical Engineering, vol 500. Springer, Singapore, p 2019Google Scholar
- Microsoft Sender ID Framework. http://www.microsoft.com/mscorp/safety/technologies/senderid/default.mspx. Accessed 14 Jan 2019
- Mishra S, Sagban R, Yakoob A, Gandhi N (2018) Swarm intelligence in anomaly detection systems: an overview. Int J Comput Appl 1–10. (2018)Google Scholar
- Nizamani S, Memon N, Wiil UK, Karampelas P (2013) Modeling suspicious email detection using enhanced feature selection. arXiv:1312.1971
- Oliveira JP (2019) Spam dataset analysis. https://rstudio-pubs-static.s3.amazonaws.com/65173_80cf15e9415c48d5a60bc54b042fccfe.html. Accessed 08 Aug 2019
- Pyzor’s homepage. https://sourceforge.net/p/pyzor/mailman/pyzor-announce/. Accessed 14 Dec 2018
- Radev D (2008) CLAIR collection of fraud email, ACL data and code repository. ADCR2008T001Google Scholar
- Razor’s homepage. http://razor.sourceforge.net/. Accessed on 05 Dec 2018
- Sender Policy Framework. http://www.openspf.org/Introduction. Accessed 24 Jan 2019
- Sharaff A, Nagwani NK, Dhadse A (2016) Comparative study of classification algorithms for spam email detection. In: Shetty N, Prasad N, Nalini N (eds) Emerging research in computing, information, communication and applications. Springer, New DelhiGoogle Scholar
- Symantec Brightmail Anti-Spam. https://www.symantec.com/products/mail-security-exchange. Accessed 23 Dec 2018
- Vidya Kumari KR, Kavitha CR (2019) Spam detection using machine learning in R. In: Smys S, Bestak R, Chen JZ, Kotuliak I (eds) International conference on computer networks and communication technologies. Lecture Notes on Data Engineering and Communications Technologies, vol 15. Springer, SingaporeGoogle Scholar
- Yandex: Some Automatic Spam Detection Methods. http://company.yandex.ru/public/articles/antispam.xml. Accessed 03 Jan 2019
- Youn S, McLeod D (2007) A comparative study for email classification. In: Elleithy K (ed) Advances and Innovations in systems, computing sciences and software engineering. Springer, DordrechtGoogle Scholar