Variable-structure backstepping controller for multivariable nonlinear systems with actuator nonlinearities based on adaptive fuzzy system
- 31 Downloads
In this paper, a novel robust adaptive fuzzy control is presented for a quite general class of multivariable nonlinear systems with actuators’ nonlinearities (saturation with dead zone) and uncertain dynamics. The backstepping concept in combination with the variable-structure control framework and Lyapunov approach is used to design this adaptive fuzzy control. The fuzzy systems are incorporated in the controller for approximating online the unknown system dynamics. In the controller design and stability analysis, the control gain matrices, which are not necessarily symmetric and definite, are decomposed via the so-called SDU matrix decomposition lemma into a product of three main useful matrices, namely a symmetric definite-positive matrix, a diagonal constant matrix with + 1 or − 1 in its main diagonal and a unity upper triangular matrix. It is shown that the proposed adaptive fuzzy control is able to ensure the uniform ultimate boundedness of all solutions of the closed-loop system, as well as the convergence of the underlying tracking errors. Finally, in a numerical simulation framework, the effectiveness of the presented controller is illustrated on two practical examples.
KeywordsFuzzy control Adaptive backstepping control Variable-structure control MIMO nonlinear systems Actuator nonlinearities Robot manipulator Helicopter system
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The author declares that they have no conflict of interest.
Human and animal rights
This article does not contain any studies with human participants or animals performed by any of the authors.
Informed consent was obtained from all individual participants included in the study.
- Bounar N, Boulkroune A, Boudjema F (2014) Adaptive fuzzy control of doubly-fed induction machine. J Control Eng Appl Inform 16(2):98–110Google Scholar
- Farrell J, Polycarpou M, Sharma M (2004) On-line approximation based control of uncertain nonlinear systems with magnitude, rate and bandwidth constraints on the states and actuators. In: Proceedings of the American control conference. IEEE, Boston, Ma, USA, vol 3, pp 2557–2562Google Scholar
- Gambler A (2004) Multivariable adaptive state-space control: a survey. In: Proceedings of the IEEE 5th Asian control conference, vol 1, pp 185–191Google Scholar
- Haddad M, Boulkroune A (2016) Adaptive fuzzy system-based variable-structure controller for uncertain MIMO nonlinear systems subject to actuator nonlinearities. In: Proceedings of the 8th international conference on modelling, identification and control (ICMIC). IEEE, pp 1002–1019Google Scholar
- Humusoft (2002) CE 150 helicopter model, user’s manual. Humusoft, PragueGoogle Scholar
- Monopoli RV (1975) Adaptive control for systems with hard saturation. In: Proceedings of the IEEE conference on decision and control, Houston, Texas, USA, pp 841–843Google Scholar
- Park JH, Park GT (2001) Robust adaptive controller using universal approximators for nonlinear systems under input constraint. In: Proceedings of the international symposium on industrial electronics (ISIE). IEEE, Pusan, South Korea, vol 3, pp 1881–1886Google Scholar
- Polycarpou M, Farrell J, Sharma M (2003) On-line approximation control of uncertain nonlinear systems: issues with control input saturation. In: Proceedings of the American control conference, Denver, Colorado, USA, vol 1, pp 543–548Google Scholar
- Wang LX (1994) Adaptive fuzzy systems and control: design and stability analysis. Prentice-Hall, Englewood CliffsGoogle Scholar