Application of fuzzy ordered weighted geometric averaging (FOWGA) operator for project delivery system decision-making
- 52 Downloads
Appropriate project delivery model is one of the key factors affecting a project’s success. Most decision-making methods of project delivery are based on vague qualitative indicators. However, a numerical scale is usually unable to effectively and accurately reflect the preferences of decision-makers. Scholars have found that applying the fuzzy set theory and using the fuzzy ordered weighted geometric averaging (FOWGA) operator for project delivery system (PDS) decision could reduce the judgment information losing to a certain extent and improve the objectivity and fairness of group decision-making. In this study, we further addressed the decision method and procedure for PDS decision by using the FOWGA operator and demonstrated the mode selection method as well. The results demonstrated that the method can overcome the current drawback of subjectivity of the project delivery decision method, better solve the decision-making information losing problem during assembling process and further reflect the priority of the PDS so as to improve the efficiency of the group decision.
KeywordsProject delivery system (PDS) Fuzzy ordered weighted geometric averaging operator (FOWGA) Triangular fuzzy number Group decision method
The authors would like to appreciate the reviewers for all helpful comments, and to thank the Fundamental Research Funds for the Central Universities (Grant Nos. 331711105, 331711203) and the National Natural Science Foundation of China (NSFC 51708381) for their supports.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
Author Xun Liu declares that he has no conflict of interest. Author Hong Liu declares that she has no conflict of interest.
This article does not contain any studies with human participants or animals performed by any of the authors.
- Alhazmi T, McCaffer R (2000) Project procurement system selection model. J Constr Eng Manag 126(3):176–184. https://doi.org/10.1061/(asce)0733-9364(2000)126:3(176) CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Chan APC, Ho DCK, Tam CM (2001a) Design and build project success factors: multivariate analysis. J Constr Eng Manag 127(2):93–100. https://doi.org/10.1061/(asce)0733-9364(2001)127:2(93) CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Cheung SO, Lam TI, Wan YW, Lam KC (2001) Improving objectivity in procurement selection. J Manag Eng 17(3):132–139. https://doi.org/10.1061/(asce)0742-597x(2001)17:3(132) CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Gransberg DD, Dillon WD, Reynolds L, Boyd J (1999) Quantitative analysis of partnered project performance. J Constr Eng Manag 125(3):161–166. https://doi.org/10.1061/(asce)0733-9364(1999)125:3(161) CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Ibbs CW, Kwak YH, Ng T, Odabasi A (2003) Project delivery systems and project change: quantitative analysis. J Constr Eng Manag 129(4):382–387. https://doi.org/10.1061/(asce)0733-9364(2003)129:4(382) CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Konchar M, Sanvido V (1998) Comparison of US project delivery systems. J Constr Eng Manag 124(6):435–444. https://doi.org/10.1061/(asce)0733-9364(1998)124:6(435) CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Laedre O, Austeng K, Haugen T, Klakegg O (2006) Procurement routes in public building and construction projects. J Constr Eng Manag 132(7):689–696. https://doi.org/10.1061/(asce)0733-9364(2006)132:7(689) CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Li H, Arditi D, Wang Z (2013) Factors that affect transaction costs in construction projects. J Constr Eng Manag 139(1):60–68. https://doi.org/10.1061/(asce)co.1943-7862.0000573 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Ling FYY, Chan SL, Chong E, Ee LP (2004) Predicting performance of design-build and design-bid-build projects. J Constr Eng Manag 130(1):75–83. https://doi.org/10.1061/(asce)0733-9364(2004)130:1(75) CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Liu B, Huo T, Shen Q, Yang Z, Meng J, Xue B (2014) Which owner characteristics are key factors affecting project delivery system decision making? Empirical analysis based on the rough set theory. J Manag Eng 31(4):1–12. https://doi.org/10.1061/(asce)ME.1943-5479.0000298 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Lo SC, Chao Y (2007) Efficiency assessment of road project delivery models. In: AIP conference proceedings. AIP Publishing. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.2835911
- Luu DT, Ng ST, Chen SE (2005) Formulating procurement selection criteria through case-based reasoning approach. J Comput Civ Eng 19(3):269–276. https://doi.org/10.1061/(asce)0887-3801(2005)19:3(269) CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Mafakheri F, Dai L, Slezak D, Nasiri F (2007) Project delivery system selection under un-certainty: multicriteria multilevel decision aid model. J Manag Eng 23(4):200–206. https://doi.org/10.1061/(asce)0742-597X(2007)23:4(200) CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Masterman J, Duff A (1994) The selection of building procurement systems by client organizations. In: Proceedings of the 10th annual ARCOM conference. Loughborough University of TechnologyGoogle Scholar
- Mollaoglu-Korkmaz S, Swarup L, Riley D (2013) Delivering sustainable, high-performance buildings: influence of project delivery methods on integration and project outcomes. J Manag Eng 29(1):71–78. https://doi.org/10.1061/(asce)me.1943-5479.0000114 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Mostafavi A, Karamouz M (2010) Selecting appropriate project delivery system: fuzzy approach with risk analysis. J Constr Eng Manag 136(8):923–930. https://doi.org/10.1061/(asce)CO.1943-7862.0000190 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Naoum SG (1994) Critical analysis of time and cost of management and traditional contracts. J Constr Eng Manag 120(4):687–705. https://doi.org/10.1061/(asce)0733-9364(1994)120:4(687) CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Oyetunji AA, Anderson SD (2006) Relative effectiveness of project delivery and contract strategies. J Constr Eng Manag 132(1):3–13. https://doi.org/10.1061/(asce)0733-9364(2006)132:1(3) CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Rwelamila PD, Meyer C (1999) Appropriate or default project procurement systems? Cost Eng 41(9):40–44Google Scholar
- Songer AD, Molenaar KR (1996) Selecting design-build: public and private sector owner attitudes. J Manag Eng 12(6):47–53. https://doi.org/10.1061/(asce)0742-597x(1996)12:6(47) CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Touran A, Gransberg DD, Molenaar KR, Ghavamifar K (2011) Selection of project delivery method in transit: drivers and objectives. J Manag Eng 27(1):21–27. https://doi.org/10.1061/(asce)me.1943-5479.0000027 CrossRefGoogle Scholar