Computational study of separation algorithms for clique inequalities
- 33 Downloads
Clique inequalities appear in linear descriptions of many combinatorial optimisation problems. In general, they form an exponential family and, in addition, the associated separation problem is strongly NP-hard, being equivalent to a maximum weight clique problem. Therefore, most of the known (both exact and heuristic) separation procedures follow the decomposition scheme of a maximum clique algorithm. We introduce a new heuristic, aimed at constructing a collection of (violated) clique inequalities covering all the edges of the underlying graph. We present an extensive computational experience showing that this closely approximates the results of an exact separation oracle while being faster than standard heuristics.
KeywordsClique inequalities Separation problem Cutting plane algorithm
This study was funded by Italian Ministry of Education and Research, National Research Program PRIN 2015, Grant No. 20153TXRX9.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
All authors declare that they have no conflict of interest
This article does not contain any studies with human participants or animals performed by any of the authors.
- Balas E, Padberg MW (1976) Set partitioning: a survey. Management sciences research report, Graduate School of Industrial Administration, Carnegie-Mellon UniversityGoogle Scholar
- Borndörfer R (1998) Aspects of set packing, partitioning, and covering. Ph. D. thesis, TU BerlinGoogle Scholar
- Borndörfer R, Kormos Z (1997) An algorithm for maximum cliques. Unpublished working paper, Konrad-Zuse-Zentrum für InformationstechnikGoogle Scholar
- Intel distribution for Python (2018) https://software.intel.com/en-us/distribution-for-python
- Johnson DJ, Trick MA (eds) (1996) Cliques, coloring, and satisfiability: second DIMACS implementation challenge, Workshop, October 11–13, 1993. American Mathematical Society, Boston, MAGoogle Scholar
- Letchford AN, Rossi F, Smriglio S (2018) The stable set problem: clique and nodal inequalities revisited. Optimization Online, http://www.optimization-online.org/DB_HTML/2018/05/6612.html
- Niskanen S, Östergård PRJ (2002) Routines for clique searching. http://users.aalto.fi/~pat/cliquer.html
- SCIP Optimization Suite (2018). http://scip.zib.de/