Bounds on the worst optimal value in interval linear programming
- 94 Downloads
One of the basic tools to describe uncertainty in a linear programming model is interval linear programming, where parameters are assumed to vary within a priori known intervals. One of the main topics addressed in this context is determining the optimal value range, that is, the best and the worst of all the optimal values of the objective function among all the realizations of the uncertain parameters. For the equality constraint problems, computing the best optimal value is an easy task, but the worst optimal value calculation is known to be NP-hard. In this study, we propose new methods to determine bounds for the worst optimal value, and we evaluate them on a set of randomly generated instances.
KeywordsInterval linear programming Worst optimal value Bounds
The authors thank the two anonymous referees for their suggestions and comments which helped improve the quality and clarity of the paper.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflicts of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
This article does not contain any studies with human participants performed by any of the authors.
- Cerulli R, Ambrosio C D’, Gentili M (2017) Best and worst values of the optimal cost of the interval transportation problem. In: International conference on optimization and decision science, pp 367–374. SpringerGoogle Scholar
- D’Ambrosio C, Gentili M, Cerulli R (2018) The optimal value range problem for the interval (immune) transportation problem. Under Revision for OmegaGoogle Scholar
- Hladik M (2012a) Interval linear programming: a survey. In: Mann ZA (ed) Linear programming–new frontiers in theory and applications, chap 2. Nova Science, New York, pp 85–120Google Scholar
- Hladik M (2012b) An interval linear programming contractor. In: Ramik J, Stavarek D (eds) Proceedings 30th international conference on mathematical methods in economics 2012, Karvina, Czech Republic, pp 284–289, Silesian University in OpavaGoogle Scholar
- Li DF (2016) Interval-valued matrix games. In: Linear programming models and methods of matrix games with payoffs of triangular fuzzy numbers. Springer, pp 3–63Google Scholar
- Rohn J (2006a) Interval linear programming. In: Linear optimization problems with inexact data. Springer, pp 79–100Google Scholar
- Rohn J (2006b) Solvability of systems of interval linear equations and inequalities. In: Linear optimization problems with inexact data. Springer, pp 35–77Google Scholar
- Rump SM (1999) INTLAB—INTerval LABoratory. In: Csendes T (ed) Developments in reliable computing, pp 77–104. Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht. http://www.ti3.tuhh.de/rump/