An approach for parameterized shadowed type-2 fuzzy membership functions applied in control applications
- 47 Downloads
At present time, general type-2 fuzzy logic provides better uncertainty modeling when compared to interval type-2 fuzzy logic, and this has been shown with the improvement in the performance of fuzzy logic controllers and fuzzy edge detectors. However, higher computational cost represents a limitation for many applications and implementation platforms, and it is because of this that the computational cost reduction is the main goal of this paper. The aim of this work is to model a GT2 FLS based on shadowed type-2 fuzzy sets (ST2 FS) and apply this approach to control problems. The ST2 FS consists of approximating the secondary membership function by shadowed sets and is because of this, that we present an analytic approach to obtain the shadowed set for triangular and Gaussian membership functions for any parameters. Based on this, we achieve a representation of the ST2 FS as a parameterized function, facilitating its implementation. The results are compared against the performance when a generalized type-2 fuzzy inference system is approximated using α-planes for control applications.
KeywordsGeneral type-2 fuzzy sets Shadowed sets Interval type-2 fuzzy sets Shadowed type-2 fuzzy sets
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
All the authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
This article does not contain any studies with human participants or animals performed by any of the authors.
- Castro JR, Castillo O, Melin P (2007) An interval type-2 fuzzy logic toolbox for control applications. IEEE Int Fuzzy Syst Conf 2007:1–6Google Scholar
- Davoudkhani IF, Akbari M (2016) Adaptive speed control of brushless DC (BLDC) motor based on interval type-2 fuzzy logic. In: 2016 24th Iranian conference on electrical engineering (ICEE), pp. 1119–1124Google Scholar
- Deng X, Yao Y (2013) Mean-value-based decision-theoretic shadowed sets. In: 2013 Joint IFSA world congress and NAFIPS annual meeting (IFSA/NAFIPS), pp. 1382–1387Google Scholar
- Giribabu D, Vardhan RH, Prasad RR (2016) Multi level inverter fed indirect vector control of induction motor using type 2 fuzzy logic controller. In: 2016 international conference on electrical, electronics, and optimization techniques (ICEEOT), pp. 2605–2610Google Scholar
- Gonzalez CI, Melin P, Castillo O, Juarez D, Castro JR (2017) Toward general type-2 fuzzy logic systems based on shadowed sets. Adv Fuzzy Log Technol 2017:131–142Google Scholar
- Linda O, Manic M (2012) Shadowed type-2 fuzzy sets -type-2 fuzzy sets with shadowed secondary membership functions. IEEE Int Conf Fuzzy Syst 2012:1–8Google Scholar
- Ontiveros-Robles E, Melin P, Castillo O (2018) Comparative analysis of noise robustness of type 2 fuzzy logic controllers. Kybernetika, 175–201Google Scholar
- Tahayori H, Sadeghian A (2013) Shadowed fuzzy sets: a framework with more freedom degrees for handling uncertainties than interval type-2 fuzzy sets and lower computational complexity than general type-2 fuzzy sets. N Concepts Appl Soft Comput 97–117Google Scholar
- Wagner C, Hagras H (2011) Employing zSlices based general type-2 fuzzy sets to model multi level agreement. In: 2011 IEEE symposium on advances in type-2 fuzzy logic systems (T2FUZZ), pp. 50–57Google Scholar
- Wijayasekara D, Linda O, Manic M (2013) Shadowed type-2 fuzzy logic systems. In: 2013 IEEE symposium on advances in type-2 fuzzy logic systems (T2FUZZ), pp. 15–22Google Scholar