A generic heuristic for multi-project scheduling problems with global and local resource constraints (RCMPSP)
- 300 Downloads
This paper presents a novel algorithm to solve the multi-project scheduling problem with resource constraints (RCMPSP). The algorithm was tested with all the problems proposed in the multi-project scheduling problem library, which is the main reference to benchmark RCMPSP algorithms. Our analysis of the results demonstrates that this algorithm, in spite of its simplicity, outperforms other algorithms published in the library in 16% of the cases and holds the best result in 27% of the cases. These results, along with the fact that this is a general-purpose algorithm, make it a good choice to deal with limited time and resources in portfolio management.
KeywordsProject management Project scheduling Portfolio management Multi-project scheduling RCMPSP MPSPLib
This research has been partially financed by the project ABARNET (Agent-Based Algorithms for Railway NETworks optimization) financed by the Spanish Ministry of Economy, Industry and Competitiveness, with Grant DPI2016-78902-P, and the Computational Models for Industrial Management (CM4IM) project, funded by the Valladolid University General Foundation.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that there is no conflict of interests regarding the publication of this paper.
Human and animals participants
This article does not contain any studies with human participants or animals performed by any of the authors.
- Algan M, Roy B, Simonard M (1962) Principes d’une méthode d’exploration de certains domaines et application à l’ordonnancement de la construction de grands ensemblesGoogle Scholar
- Confessore G, Roma S, Giordani S, Rismondo S (2002) An auction based approach in decentralized project scheduling. In: Proceedings of the 8th international workshop on project management and scheduling, pp 110–113Google Scholar
- Dalfard VM, Ranjbar V (2012) Multi-projects scheduling with resource constraints & priority rules by the use of simulated annealing algorithm [Programiranje više projekata uz ograničena sredstva & Pravila prioriteta primjenom algoritma simuliranog žarenja]. Teh Vjesn 19:493–499Google Scholar
- Davis EW (1969) An exact algorithm for the multiple constrained project scheduling problem. Yale University, New HavenGoogle Scholar
- Demeulemeester EL, Herroelen WS (2002) Project scheduling: a research handbook. Kluwer, BostonGoogle Scholar
- Fendley LG (1968) Towards the development of a complete multi-project scheduling system. J Ind Eng 19:505–515Google Scholar
- Fink A, Homberger J (2015) Decentralized multi-project scheduling. In: Schwindt C, Zimmermann J (eds) Handbook on project management and scheduling, vol 2. Springer International Publishing, Cham, pp 685–706Google Scholar
- Herroelen W (2005) Project scheduling—theory and practice. Prod Oper Manag 14:413–432. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1937-5956.2005.tb00230.x CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Kaplan LA (1996) Resource-constrained project scheduling with preemption of jobs. UMI, Ann ArborGoogle Scholar
- Kelley JE Jr (1963) The critical path method: resources planning and scheduling. Ind Sched 13:347–365Google Scholar
- Kelley JE, Walker MR (1959) Critical-path planning and scheduling. Paper presented at December 1–3, 1959, East Jt IRE-AIEE-ACM Computing Conference—IRE-AIEE-ACM ’59, vol 32, pp 160–173. https://doi.org/10.1145/1460299.1460318
- Mingozzi A, Maniezzo V, Ricciardelli S, Bianco L (1998) An exact algorithm for the resource-constrained project scheduling problem based on a new mathematical formulation. Manag Sci 44:714–729. https://doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.44.5.714
- Schirmer A (1996) New insights on the complexity of resource-constrained project scheduling—a case of single-mode schedulingGoogle Scholar
- Song W, Kang D, Zhang J, Xi H (2016) Decentralized multi-project scheduling via multi-unit combinatorial auction. Aamas 2016:836–844Google Scholar
- Villafáñez F, Poza DJ (2010) Propuesta de Modelo MAS para la resolución del RCMPSP basado en Subastas Combinatorias. In: Gutiérrez Pajares J, López-Paredes A, Iglesias Hernández C (eds) Best practices in project management. Methodologies and case studies in construction and engineering. INSISOC, Valladolid, SpainGoogle Scholar
- Villafañez F, Lopez-Paredes A, Pajares J, de la Fuente D (2014a) From the RCPSP to the DRCMPSP?: Methodological foundations. In: Proceedings on the international conference on artificial intelligence (ICAI), Athens. The Steering Committee of The World Congress in Computer Science, Computer Engineering and Applied Computing (WorldComp), Athens, pp 1–6Google Scholar
- Villafañez F, Lopez-Paredes A, Pajares J, de la Fuente D (2014b) From the RCPSP to the DRCMPSP: methodological foundations. In: Proceedings on the international conference on artificial intelligence (ICAI), p 1Google Scholar