Constrained dynamic vehicle routing problems with time windows
- 433 Downloads
This paper tackles two variants of a Dynamic Vehicle Routing Problem with Time Windows as real-world applications of several companies in the Canary Islands, Spain. In these dynamic vehicle routing problems, customer requests can be either known at the beginning of the planning horizon or dynamically revealed over it. Particularly, the problems corresponding to a delivery company and a vending machines company are taken into consideration. In addition to the dynamism feature of these problems, the companies consider several attributes that consist of a fixed heterogeneous fleet of vehicles, multiple time windows, customers priorities and vehicle–customer constraints. This work proposes a metaheuristic procedure to solve these problems. The computational experiments indicate that the proposed method is feasible to solve these real-world problems.
KeywordsDynamic vehicle routing Time windows Heterogeneous fleet Metaheuristics
This work has been partially funded by the Spanish Ministry of Economy and Competitiveness (TIN2012-32608) and the Spanish Ministry of Industry, Tourism and Trade (TSI-020100-2011-298). Research by Jesica de Armas, supported by the Canary Islands CIE: Tricontinental Atlantic Campus.
- Cassani L, Righini G (2004) Heuristic algorithms for the tsp with rear-loading. In: 35th Annual Conference of the Italian Operations Research Society (AIRO XXXV), Lecce, ItalyGoogle Scholar
- De Armas J, Melián-Batista B, Moreno-Pérez JA, Brito J (2013) GVNS for a real-world rich vehicle routing problem with time windows. University of La Laguna, Technical reportGoogle Scholar
- Gendreau M, Potvin JY (eds) (2004) Focused section on real-time fleet management, vol 38. Transportation ScienceGoogle Scholar
- Ghiani G, Guerriero F, Laporte G, Musmanno R (2003) Real-time vehicle routing: solution concepts, algorithms and parallel computing strategies. Eur J Oper Res 151:1–11Google Scholar
- Ichoua S, Gendreau M, Potvin J-Y (2007) In: Zeimpekis V, Tarantilis CD, Giaglis GM, Minis I (eds) Planned route optimization for real-time vehicle routing., Dynamic fleet management, volume 38 of operations research/computer science interfaces seriesSpringer, US, pp 1–8Google Scholar
- Lackner A (2004) Selection meta-heuristics for dynamic vehicle routing problem (Dynamische Tourenplanung mit ausgewählten Metaheuristiken). Number 47. Göttinger WirtschftinformatikGoogle Scholar
- Larsen A (2001) The dynamic vehicle routing problem. Ph.D. ThesisGoogle Scholar
- Larsen A, Madsen OBG, Solomon MM (2008) In: Golden B, Raghavan S, Wasil E (eds) Recent developments in dynamic vehicle routing systems., The Vehicle Routing Problem: Latest Advances and New Challenges, volume 43 of Operations Research/Computer Science InterfacesSpringer, US, pp 199–218Google Scholar
- Lund K, Madsen OBG, Rygaard JM (1996) Vehicle routing problems with varying degrees of dynamism. Technical Report, IMM Institute of Mathematical ModellingGoogle Scholar
- Ilhan O (1976) Traveling salesman-type combinatorial problems and their relation to the logistics of regional blood banking. Xerox University MicrofilmsGoogle Scholar