Gene selection using hybrid particle swarm optimization and genetic algorithm
- 457 Downloads
Selecting high discriminative genes from gene expression data has become an important research. Not only can this improve the performance of cancer classification, but it can also cut down the cost of medical diagnoses when a large number of noisy, redundant genes are filtered. In this paper, a hybrid Particle Swarm Optimization (PSO) and Genetic Algorithm (GA) method is used for gene selection, and Support Vector Machine (SVM) is adopted as the classifier. The proposed approach is tested on three benchmark gene expression datasets: Leukemia, Colon and breast cancer data. Experimental results show that the proposed method can reduce the dimensionality of the dataset, and confirm the most informative gene subset and improve classification accuracy.
KeywordsGene selection Particle swarm optimization Genetic algorithm Support vector machine
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Cristianini N and Shawe-Taylor J (1999). An introduction to SVM. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge Google Scholar
- Deng L, Pei J, Ma J et al (2004) A rank sum test method for informative gene discovery. In: Kim W, Kohavi R, Gehrke J et al (eds) Proceedings of the 10th ACM SIGKDD International Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining, pp 410–490Google Scholar
- Hall M (2000) Correlation-based feature selection for discrete and numeric class machine learning. In: 17th International Conference on Machine Learning. Morgan Kaufmann, San Francisco, CAGoogle Scholar
- Kennedy J, Eberhart RC (1995) Particle swarm optimization. In Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Neural Networks, pp 1942–1948Google Scholar
- Kennedy J, Eberhart RC (1997) A discrete binary version of the particle swarm algorithm. In Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Systems. Man, and Cybernetics, pp 4104–4109Google Scholar
- Li L, Darden TA and Weingberg CR et al (2001a). Gene assessment and sample classification for gene expression data using a genetic algorithm/k-nearest neighbor method. Comb Chem High Throughput Screen 4: 727–739 Google Scholar
- Shi XH, Lu YH, Zhou CG et al (2003) Hybrid evolutionary algorithms based on pso and ga. In: Sarker R, Reynolds R, Abbass H et al (eds) Proceeding of IEEE Congress on Evolutionary computation, pp 2393–2399Google Scholar
- Weston J, Mukherjee S and Chapelle O et al (2000). Feature selection for SVMs. Adv Neural Inf Process Syst 13: 668–674 Google Scholar