A fast P system for finding a balanced 2-partition
Numerical problems are not very frequently addressed in the P systems literature. In this paper we present an effective solution to the 2-Partition problem via a family of deterministic P systems with active membranes using 2-division. The design of this solution is a sequel of several previous works on other problems, mainly on the Subset-Sum and the Knapsack problems. Several improvements are introduced and explained.
KeywordsComplexity class Membrane computing Active membranes NP-Complete problem
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Alhazov A, Freund R, Păun Gh (2004) P systems with active membranes and two polarizations. 7:20–36Google Scholar
- Cordón-Franco A, Gutiérrez-Naranjo MA, Pérez-Jiménez MJ, Sancho-Caparrini F (in press) A Prolog simulator for deterministic P systems with active membranes. New Generation ComputingGoogle Scholar
- Gutiérrez-Naranjo MA, Pérez-Jiménez MJ, Riscos-Núñez A (2004) Towards a programming language in cellular computing. 7: 247–257Google Scholar
- Păun Gh (2000) Computing with membranes. Journal of Computer and System Sciences 61(1):108–143Google Scholar
- Păun Gh (2001) P Systems with active membranes: Attacking NP-complete problems. J Automata, Languages and Combinatorics 6(1): 75–90Google Scholar
- Păun Gh (2002) Membrane computing. An introduction. Springer, Berlin Heidelberg New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Păun Gh, Riscos-Núñez A, Romero-Jiménez A, Sancho-Caparrini A (eds) (2004) Second Brainstorming Week on Membrane Computing, Sevilla, February 2004. TR 01/2004, Research Group on Natural Computing, Sevilla UniversityGoogle Scholar
- Păun Gh, Rozenberg G (2002) A guide to membrane computing. Theoretical Computer Science 287: 73–100Google Scholar
- Pérez-Jiménez MJ, Riscos-Núñez A (in press) Solving the Subset-Sum problem by active membranes. New Generation ComputingGoogle Scholar
- Pérez-Jiménez MJ, Riscos-Núñez A (2004) A linear solution for the Knapsack problem using active membranes. In: Martín-Vide C, Mauri G, Păun Gh, Rozenberg G, Salomaa A (eds) (2004) Membrane Computing. International Workshop WMC2003, Tarragona, July 2003, Revised papers. Lecture Notes in Computer Science 2933, Springer, Berlin, 250–268Google Scholar
- Pérez-Jiménez MJ, Romero-Jiménez A, Sancho-Caparrini F (2003) A polynomial complexity class in P systems using membrane division. In: Csuhaj-Varjú E, Kintala C, Wotschke D, Vaszil G (eds) (2003) Proceedings of the Fifth International Workshop on Descriptional Complexity of Formal Systems, Budapest, Hungary, July 12–14, 284–294Google Scholar
- Zandron C (2001) A model for molecular computing: Membrane systems. Ph.D. Thesis, Università degli Studi di Milano.Google Scholar