Gene expression atlas of embryo development in Arabidopsis
Embryogenesis represents a critical phase in the life cycle of flowering plants. Here, we characterize transcriptome landscapes associated with key stages of embryogenesis by combining an optimized method for the isolation of developing Arabidopsis embryos with high-throughput RNA-seq. The resulting RNA-seq datasets identify distinct overlapping patterns of gene expression, as well as temporal shifts in gene activity across embryogenesis. Network analysis revealed stage-specific and multi-stage gene expression clusters and biological functions associated with key stages of embryo development. Methylation-related gene expression was associated with early- and middle-stage embryos, initiation of photosynthesis components with the late embryogenesis stage, and storage/energy-related protein activation with late and mature embryos. These results provide a comprehensive understanding of transcriptome programming in Arabidopsis embryogenesis and identify modules of gene expression corresponding to key stages of embryo development. This dataset and analysis are a unique resource to advance functional genetic analysis of embryo development in plants.
KeywordsEmbryogenesis Embryo isolation RNA-seq Transcriptome Bioinformatics Arabidopsis
This work was funded by the Aquatic and Crop Resource Development Research Division of the National Research Council of Canada (ACRD manuscript #56424). We thank Dr. Wentao Zhang for reviewing the manuscript and providing suggestions for its improvement.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- Andrews S (2010) FASTQC. A quality control tool for high throughput sequence data. (unpublished, open source: http://www.bioinformatics.babraham.ac.uk/projects/fastqc). Accessed 8 Apr 2018
- Jenik PD, Gillmor CS, Lukowitz W (2007) Embryonic patterning in Arabidopsis thaliana. Annu Rev Cell Dev Biol 23:207–236. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.cellbio.22.011105.102609 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Ruiz-Sola MA, Barja MV, Manzano D, Llorente B, Schipper B, Beekwilder J, Rodriguez-Concepcion M (2016) A single Arabidopsis gene encodes two differentially targeted geranylgeranyl diphosphate synthase isoforms. Plant physiology 172:1393–1402. https://doi.org/10.1104/pp.16.01392 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Troncoso-Ponce MA, Barthole G, Tremblais G, To A, Miquel M, Lepiniec L, Baud S (2016) Transcriptional activation of two delta-9 palmitoyl-ACP desaturase genes by MYB115 and MYB118 Is critical for biosynthesis of omega-7 monounsaturated fatty acids in the endosperm of Arabidopsis seeds. Plant Cell 28:2666–2682. https://doi.org/10.1105/tpc.16.00612 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Yakovlev MS, Zhukova GY (1980) Chlorophyll in embryos of angiosperm seeds, a review. Bot Not 133:323–336Google Scholar